2nd FUT Scar

Please forgive me if this specific question has been answered. I searched but likely overlooked it in my efforts. 

Understanding variables exist such as scalp laxity, amount of grafts, personal physiology, etc. if someone were to have  a modest 2500 graft fut procedure which produced a thin scar and then went on to have another 3500 grafts 3 years later, would the scar be the same size? Say the same surgeon did the procedure, same post op protocol, no flexion, basically the post op instructions followed to the letter? 

I have read numerous 'authorities' stating the 2nd HT scar is almost always guaranteed to be wider than the first which has me slightly concerned. The communities insight is extremely appreciated!

• Moderators

There are too many factors to know for sure how well your scar will turn out. If you had a really great scar that's almost non existent, then it's very likely that the next one will not be as good because if you have the best then the only place to go is down, however you also know that your scar heals very well, so even if it's worse it probably won't be bad as you will likely get a similar type of healing. It also depends on how many grafts you are trying to get. If you stay at a smaller number of grafts than the first one and not try to max out how wide of a strip can be taken then you will put yourself in a better position to have a good scar as opposed to trying to get as wide an area to get the most possible grafts. There are plenty of other factors too. Is it the same Dr, How much scalp laxity you still have, How long after the first procedure are you doing the 2nd one (scalp laxity after a HT continues to improve over the years, so it's better if it several years later), etc, etc

• Like 3

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

Thank you BeHappy, you hit on numerous variables which could impact a 2nd scar's appearance. Appreciate you taking the time to respond! In the end you control what you can and hope you chose a great doc and have great healing abilities.  

@BeHappy did a great job listing all of the factors that go into scar healing.  Widening a pre-existent scar is always a risk with subsequent FUT's, but if it does widen you can always get a scar reduction.  I had a scar reduction after my 3rd FUT, which was planned beforehand with the doctor, and it certainly helped narrow the stacked scars I had at the time.  Also, some patients have had FUE put in their strip scars which has reduced their appearance.  So if it does widen, there are options.  

• Like 1

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

Thanks aaron1234, how long did the doctor leave the sutures in for your scar reduction procedure? I wonder if for a 2nd or 3rd procedure it would be beneficial to leave stiches in longer than the first time, or if that would have little to no effect?

I had 4 separate FUHT procedures and all of them healed with a pencil thin strip scar.

The most critical factors IMHO are adequate scalp laxity for the size of the strip being excised, surgeon skill, closing method, patient physiology.

I completely agree with BeHappy regarding having adequate time between procedures because it takes time for the scalp to gain enough laxity and recover from the trauma.

When we see guys end up with wide scars, it's almost always attributable to inadequate laxity and/or lack of surgeon skill with the closing skill or method.

• Thanks 1

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

I had 2 FUT and unfortunately it did leave me with a stretched/widened scar. I had a scar revision since and it’s still not particularly great. My next plan is to use Beard grafts to Improve it further. 

Edited by JohnAC71

Beard hair tends to be more coarse and is a good choice for grafting in scars…wish you the best John.

• Thanks 1

Gillenator

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

1 minute ago, gillenator said:

Beard hair tends to be more coarse and is a good choice for grafting in scars…wish you the best John.

Exactly 👌 I’m hoping Eugenix will be able to work their magic 🙏 most likely next year… 

20 hours ago, bostonguy said:

Thanks aaron1234, how long did the doctor leave the sutures in for your scar reduction procedure?

I forgot the exact time frame, but it was about 7-10 days.  

• Thanks 1

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

I want to add that on my 4th and last procedure my surgeon elected to use staples as he felt that would help to keep the scar from stretching.

Gillenator