Minoxidil 6% + .1% Finesteride

I just received an email from Hims (brand) stating they now offer 6% minox with .01% topical finesterie.

2 questions;

Is 6% any different that 5%

Is .1% fin via topical enough to stop taking .5% pill and have less sides?

image.png.05a5ca057adf7446c171871f1eb750b0.png

Link to what I did to grow my hair back without a transplant. 2 year update. 

Topical finasteride will obviously have less systemic absorption/bioavailability and consequently less chances of side effects. Oral will be more effective than topical due to these issues as well. 

I can't find any studies that demonstrate what concentration of topical finasteride is similar to oral in terms of efficacy. That would definitely be an interesting study. 

I found 1 study that shows that topical minoxidil 5% is superior to topical minoxidil 10% (the study design is flawed, imo):

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/31403367/

I found 1 study that shows topical minoxidil 5% is superior to topical minoxidil 2%

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/12196747/

I'm not sure there will be a significant difference in the efficacy of 5% versus 6%. 

Edited by Dr. Suhail Khokhar
  • Like 1

My advice does not constitute a patient-physician relationship nor as medical advice and all medical questions/concerns should be addressed to your medical provider. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/30/2021 at 4:23 AM, CosmoKramer said:

Hmmm...interesting..

What is their price for it?

Have you seen the ads for a similar topical seller service I think it’s called Strut but they sell topical Dut..

I've seen a few different brands. I have been using ForHims Finesteride since day 1.  Not sure price, you have to go through the process of them saying youre OK to use it, but i can't imagine it breaking the bank. 

ForHims told me directly its not as effective as oral Fin but the combination works better than just MInox. 

• 6 months later...
On 11/27/2021 at 5:23 AM, CuriousAboutHairs said:

@Shifty how is your progress with topical finasteride from forhims ? I am thinking of starting the same and would appreciate any help.

Also, I was told 6 sprays but I am not sure of the quantity in ml that 6 sprays correspond to. Any idea ?

Thanks!

I do not use topical from Hims. Pill form for me.