Grafts vs Total Hairs. Whats it all mean?

Mthwehwe

I hear people talk about 1's 2's 3's etc. Which means the number of hairs per follicle, but what's the desirable ratio? Do the higher number grafts go in the front hairline for more density? 

My donor are breakdown seems weak compared to everyone else as 

2529 Grafts -  4724 hairs

1 hair grafts-  903
2 hair grafts-  1136
3 hair grafts-  411
4 hair grafts-  79

for a 1.86 hairs graft ratio. 

Is that ok and how does that affect the transplant? Thanks for clearing things up!

Ideally, your doctor would put singles (1's) in the hairline for a natural effect.

Follicular units are just groupings of hair. So an example is that you can have 3 hairs in a follicular unit and a graft would move all 3 hairs together. Doctors usually pick the FUs that are most suitable for a specific area such as 1's in the hairline

• Administrators

FUT is usually lower than FUE, because the doctor can’t pick and choose the beefiest grafts. You’re a Norwood 5+. 4,700 hairs will make a difference, but you’ll need more procedures with your level of hair loss.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

9 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

FUT is usually lower than FUE, because the doctor can’t pick and choose the beefiest grafts. You’re a Norwood 5+. 4,700 hairs will make a difference, but you’ll need more procedures with your level of hair loss.

I'm a NW 5+ right now or on my way to be? I didn't think I was that far yet. Dr. Cooley suggested the 2500 grafts. 

Here I am 10 weeks post op. 

Screen Shot 2021-04-18 at 10.51.22 AM.jpg

On 4/18/2021 at 3:50 PM, Hair Triggered said:

Could you show more pics? Like what scar looks like now? Could you also show post op day 1? Thanks 

I’ll make a separate post showing everything in the future. I was a unique case as I already had a scar in the back from an operation to remove an artery and it was right in the donor area, so that may have affected hair count as well. 

Edited by Mthwehwe