Does hair need a certain legth after hair transplant to look thicker even after 1-2 years

Hello fellas,

i have a question. I always wear my hair buzzed even after the hair transplant. I just like the style and it frames my face well instead of having a complete bald front view.

So far so good. But one thing i'm asking myself is (and which one of my colleague told me also which had also a hair transplant): Is it correct that the hair needs a certain length to create the illusion of dense hair?

Normally when you suffer from genetic hair loss and the hair becomes thinner,  at a certain point when you decide to buzz your hair it appears denser than it looked like when it was longer. Now, my colleague told me that if you were slick bald and you make a hair transplant even during growing the transplanted hair and even after you reached your full end result after one or two years, you still look thinning until the hair reaches a certain length.  So basically the opposite.  Is this something which somebody could confirm or is it just a wrong impression?

So he says that the hair needs to reach at least 4-5 cm in order to create the illusion.

Another point is what he said is that the hair needs to grow long in order to grow the in caliber thickness. Is it right that if you cut it always short the hair will not fully mature to its maximum shaft thickness?

I hope i'm able to express my self good enough in order to let you understand what i mean.

Thanks for your thoughts as i used the search function but haven't find any answer to this specifically but, maybe some expereinced user can confirm or deny this!?

Edited by Rocketman1

• Administrators

Absolutely, hair length is very important. The longer it is, the more it layers and covers your scalp. What is thinning? Showing scalp. If you can’t see scalp, no one will know you’re thinning. A loose quote from Dr. Konior.

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• Moderators
16 hours ago, Rocketman1 said:

Normally when you suffer from genetic hair loss and the hair becomes thinner,  at a certain point when you decide to buzz your hair it appears denser than it looked like when it was longer. Now, my colleague told me that if you were slick bald and you make a hair transplant even during growing the transplanted hair and even after you reached your full end result after one or two years, you still look thinning until the hair reaches a certain length.  So basically the opposite.  Is this something which somebody could confirm or is it just a wrong impression?

This is somewhat true, but it has to do with hair shaft thickness. If two people had the same amount of hairs growing, but one person was naturally thinning and the other person had a hair transplant, they would both look about the same with a buzzed cut because you see the same amount of short hairs growing from each of their heads. If they both let their hair grow, the one with the hair transplant will start looking more full because his hair shaft thickness will be thicker than the naturally thinning person because the thinning persons hair will be miniaturizing and thus the hair shafts will be much thinner and not provide as much coverage.

• Like 1

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

Thank you guys! I seem to understand.

So basically even when you had a good hair transplant and you buzz your hair after lets say 5 years (the hair ransplant is fully matured) you will be again in a kind of "light" ugly duckling phase again until the hair reach a certain length?

4 hours ago, qui bono said:

Not really as the ugly duckling stage is a period of shedding and waiting for the grafts to grow back in. This is more about maximising the true potential of a transplant by letting the thicker donor hairs grow out on top and cover more scalp. Thats why most guys who've had a HT have long-ish hair..

That thread I linked earlier from Dr Keser's patient I believe shows exactly what transplanted hair looks vs native hair in terms of FU per cm2, graft placement and shaft thickness. But theres nothing odd about his appearance at all when its shaved, and if you like that look thats perfectly fine as well :)

This patient of Dr Konior keeps his head shaved too and it suits him

Its whatever you think looks best.

So from what i understand we can summarize that a thinning head without a hair transplant which is buzzed down generally look denser and a thinning head which had a hair transplant generally looks denser when the transplanted hair is grown out instead of buzzed down. That's what i understood now...

8 hours ago, Rocketman1 said:

Thank you guys! I seem to understand.

So basically even when you had a good hair transplant and you buzz your hair after lets say 5 years (the hair ransplant is fully matured) you will be again in a kind of "light" ugly duckling phase again until the hair reach a certain length?

Depends on the results ultimately.

Hopefully he won't mind me linking to his pics but @JayLDD's hair looks great buzzed here:

https://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/topic/48494-asmed-koray-erdogan-3070-grafts-april-10th/page/4/?tab=comments#comment-558942

• Like 1