First Person To Tell You You’re Balding?

• Administrators

Who was the first person to be honest and tell you that you were losing it? For me, it was one of my friends who first said I had a receded hairline back in 07 I was 21. But then in 2014 I had a really close friend tell me it was time to shave. That’s when I took the plunge, at the time it was devastating, but looking back I’m glad I stopped living in denial.

Let’s hear some stories

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

I was around 22 years (about 10 years ago), a close friend in university told me that my hair was thinning. So I asked other friends if it were true because I didnt see any thinning, and no one noticed anything. So I thought that my friend was jealous because I got more girls :P But after about 2 years, I heard it from my sisters husband, and when I examined really closely I noticed that I really started to get thinner hair. I immediately jumped on minoxidil.

But around 2 years ago, the hair loss started accelerating and it became very obvious that I was balding and I couldnt keep the same hairstyle, especially when people would comment time and time again, so I shaved everything of. But to my surprise, I liked that way I looked with shaved head, so it didnt affect me that much at all. I also got married and My wife liked it... 

• Like 1

• Administrators
7 minutes ago, Falconary said:

I was around 22 years (about 10 years ago), a close friend in university told me that my hair was thinning. So I asked other friends if it were true because I didnt see any thinning, and no one noticed anything. So I thought that my friend was jealous because I got more girls :P But after about 2 years, I heard it from my sisters husband, and when I examined really closely I noticed that I really started to get thinner hair. I immediately jumped on minoxidil.

But around 2 years ago, the hair loss started accelerating and it became very obvious that I was balding and I couldnt keep the same hairstyle, especially when people would comment time and time again, so I shaved everything of. But to my surprise, I liked that way I looked with shaved head, so it didnt affect me that much at all. I also got married and My wife liked it... 

that’s great what made you look into HTs?

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

18 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

that’s great what made you look into HTs?

The thing is that with a bald/shaved head, I only got one look, and that's the bad/tough and more masculine look (even though I'm far away from a bad guy). I get tired of having the same look day after day. And It became extremely obvious to me that people behaved differently towards me when I started shaving. I got generally more "respect" and taken more seriously but I also often feel like some people are little intimidated haha :P As my work is having me meet alot of people, I would love to have the option to switch my look depending on circumstances. And another big factor is frankly that I miss the "old" me, to style my hair. 

My mum just after I turned 16 - she said I might be starting to recede. A few months later she took me to a trichologist who looked at my scalp under a microscope and confirmed MPB... I had a panic attack right there on the floor. 

• Sad 1

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Wrote a book for newbies called Beating Hair Loss, available on Amazon

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Falconary said:

The thing is that with a bald/shaved head, I only got one look, and that's the bad/tough and more masculine look (even though I'm far away from a bad guy). I get tired of having the same look day after day. And It became extremely obvious to me that people behaved differently towards me when I started shaving. I got generally more "respect" and taken more seriously but I also often feel like some people are little intimidated haha :P As my work is having me meet alot of people, I would love to have the option to switch my look depending on circumstances. And another big factor is frankly that I miss the "old" me, to style my hair. 

Yea when I shaved my head I had this idea that I was gonna look bad ass, but instead I looked like this 

image.jpeg

It was at that time I said HT is a must.

• Haha 1

View my thread

A colleague of mine mentioned I have a big forehead. 

Never did I think twice about my hair and I remember thinking just after that comment, "I hope I dont start constantly thinking about this".

2+ years later, I still think about my hair every day. 

When the comment was made, I had only started receding. I've now been on 9 months of daily Finestride & Biotin and my hair has stablised, with small baby hairs appearing at my hairline. Learning to love my hair again but I do plan for a HT.