To shave or not to shave "FUE/FUT"

Hi ,

I'm planning to have a hair transplant in near future , i've never shaved my hair before , but in same time my 1st priority is procedure efficacy .. 

So please correct me if i'm wrong on below as some clinics i contacted with claim unshaven FUE have same results :

- For FUE , donor area MUST be shaved , recipient area can be shaved or not  , however , sometime after procedure transplanted hair will shed before growing back .. so as i'm restoring hairline , a portion of front hair will look like as if it's completely shaved  ,while rest of hair is long .

Also that will affect efficacy of procedure as it will be harder for surgeon to ensure perfect  positioning and direction "mid section of my hair have lower density and i will transplant more hair there" 

- For FUT , donor area will not be shaved , recipient area can be shaved or not , but , as with FUE transplanted hair will fall due to shock after operation , and hair will look inconsistent if i kept it long .. 

Most of our cases get a shaved recipient area. We may keep an unshaved recipient in very select cases and is usually only upon previous visual assessment and with a consent to shave if there is any chance of reduced visibility. Shaving is a hassle I agree but in the end getting the best outcome is what matters. 

Dr. Taleb Barghouthi approved and recommended on the Hair Transplant Network. You can schedule a virtual consultation with me here.

Contact me via WhatsApp at +962798378396 (Jordan) 

Social media:

Facebook

YouTube

Twitter

Instagram

I had the same concern before my FUE HT, shaving my entire head - as required by my doctor. I had never shaved my head before and I worried about what I would look like or what others would think and say. From my experience, let me tell you the anxiety and fear is greater than the reality. First, its best to shave your head for the procedure so the doctor has a clean slate to work with, from donor extraction and to make recipient site incisions - especially if he/she will be working around some native hair, you don't want to risk transection of those existing follicles. So yes, its better overall for the doctor performing the procedure. Second, I found it was easier to clean your head post-op, showering the affected areas, and simply air-drying. And last, I found it was surprisingly very liberating not to have to worry about styling my hair, concealing bald spots, etc. I looked alot better than I thought I would. Going outside, I just wore my baseball cap alot more. Going back to work several weeks later, there was absolutely no signs of surgery. People initially noticed and remarked about the very short hair, and everyone moved on. People don't care as much as we think they do. We are more self-conscious. People have their own worries, concerns and priorities - believe me they don't worry about our hair. So I hope this experience helps with your decision.