Oral Minoxidil vs Topical Minoxidil Which is Better?

• 5 months later...
On 1/5/2021 at 3:04 PM, Mycroft said:

I started oral minoxidil about two months ago at 5 mg daily. The highest dose I've seen studied is 10mg daily but that is only in one study. Most doctors look at 5mg as the high end. Too early to gauge the response of my hair just yet, but no discernable side effects on this dose. I've been monitoring heartrate and BP and have found no change outside of normal variances. No sign of hypertrichosis. I'm expecting to see some sort of visual improvement by six months if one is to happen at all, and if I show signs of a positive response I will gauge full results around 12 and 24 months.

Of note: I have not discontinued topical in order to reduce variables, so technically the scalp itself is being hit with a slightly higher dose of minoxidil.

Oral minoxidil has a much better response percentage than topical, but it is worth noting that this response and statistical improvement in hair doesn't necessarily equate to cosmetically significant improvement. I've had a decent response to non surgical treatments thus far, so we will see.