Smaller FUE or medium FUT on virgin scalp

Hi guys

I would greatly appreciate your guys help. I am 32 and this is my hair after 2years on proscar. I would say the hairloss has stabilized but nothing more. I do believe however that the gap right in the middle of the hairline has further receded about a year ago as this was always a “weak point” of my hairline since I was young so I was bound to lose it.

Ultimately, I am destined for a NW5/6 and I think I am ready to start the battle.

1.       I am opting between a “small” FUE to fill in that gap (how many grafts does that gap need??) and more probably further strengthen the hairline a bit to start off.

OR

2.       Go for about a 2000 FUT which I figure would give me a conservative dense hairline. I am also thinking of strengthening my crown with additional grafts (appx 1000 grafts?)

I am thinking of HW and I would greatly appreciate if you guys can advise which doctor would be more fitting (I know this is difficult as they are both phenomenal).

How much of a small FUE can I start off with, without compromising my lifetime donor potential, as this perhaps would let me know how much FUE I can potentially start with or go straight to FUT.

Advice on which route I should start off with or perhaps any other advice you guys have would appreciated.

Thanks!

collage.jpg

Hey man! Have you had consultations with any surgeons you're considering? Personally, I think that would be the best place to start. If you live close enough to one to be able to do it in person, that would be ideal - though many surgeons offer virtual consultations. You mention with certainty that you're on track to be a NW5/6, and I imagine that's based on genetics and family history? If so, I really think that warrants an in depth conversation and consultation with at least 2-3 top surgeons to get their input. This will also mean that the question isn't as simple as the one you're asking, as you would really need to approach this with a longterm game plan in mind. They'll be able to not only give their opinions as to what they think the best approach is, but also can explain their reasoning. This will give you some very clear options to compare and contrast and see which route you wanna go. (And if they all suggest the same thing, that's even better confirmation as to which way you should go!) 

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

I agree with the above. Shortlist about 3-5 clinics and go and have an in-person consultation with them, even if you have to travel. I visited four, three of which are recommended on here. You're going to spend a lot of money on this so an extra few hundred dollars/euros/pounds/whatever to make sure you make the right choice is not a lot of money and the benefit/reward is massive.

Hasson and Wong is arguably the best clinic in the world. I think they are going to tell you that as you have a small area to fill that you should go FUE. However, I still think you need to have an in-person consultation with them first (and another couple of clinics to get a balanced opinion). 

I think i will proceed with HW after years of research and a few consultations. I am not opposed to an in person consultation at all and am in the process of doing an online one this moment due to COVID.

I guess I am looking for some opinions on which way to approach this from a surgical standpoint.

ie.) Number of grafts, whether or not to address the crown now, which doctor would more suit my case etc...

21 hours ago, pkipling said:

Hey man! Have you had consultations with any surgeons you're considering? Personally, I think that would be the best place to start. If you live close enough to one to be able to do it in person, that would be ideal - though many surgeons offer virtual consultations. You mention with certainty that you're on track to be a NW5/6, and I imagine that's based on genetics and family history? If so, I really think that warrants an in depth conversation and consultation with at least 2-3 top surgeons to get their input. This will also mean that the question isn't as simple as the one you're asking, as you would really need to approach this with a longterm game plan in mind. They'll be able to not only give their opinions as to what they think the best approach is, but also can explain their reasoning. This will give you some very clear options to compare and contrast and see which route you wanna go. (And if they all suggest the same thing, that's even better confirmation as to which way you should go!) 

Thanks for your reply, Yes NW 5/6 is where i am headed i believe given family history and how the recession took place.

So this is what is making me heavily consider going FUT and addressing the crown as well. Alternatively, I was also thinking of going for a relatively smaller FUE to address the gap you see in the pictures and at the same time reinforce the hairline. That gap needs to be filled no matter what though haha

Edited by kramer79

Honestly at this point I feel most comfortable going HW (especially FUT) but of course I will ultimately decide once i have more communication with their office and have some back and forth. Bloxham also looks solid for FUT. If i was going to go with a larger FUE i guess Bisanga would also be someone i would consider as well.

Of course distance shouldn't matter but they are geographically close as well so to travel elsewhere when i have one of the best clinics in the world relatively close is not something i am going to ignore lol

I guess my case is an odd one because usually in some other threads there is mention of how many grafts approximately a certain case needs or whether the crown should be also addressed in it's current state (educated input/opinions is what i am after so this way i have more to go on when moving forward)

Thanks for your replies guys.

31 minutes ago, kramer79 said:

Honestly at this point I feel most comfortable going HW (especially FUT) but of course I will ultimately decide once i have more communication with their office and have some back and forth. Bloxham also looks solid for FUT. If i was going to go with a larger FUE i guess Bisanga would also be someone i would consider as well.

Of course distance shouldn't matter but they are geographically close as well so to travel elsewhere when i have one of the best clinics in the world relatively close is not something i am going to ignore lol

I guess my case is an odd one because usually in some other threads there is mention of how many grafts approximately a certain case needs or whether the crown should be also addressed in it's current state (educated input/opinions is what i am after so this way i have more to go on when moving forward)

Thanks for your replies guys.

It is not odd but you haven't told us anything like where you want the hairline etc. Typically somewhere between 1500-2000 would give you a very good result. I think FUT is the way forwards for you - I was on track to be a NW5 too (see my thread) and went with FUT. The scar is a non-issue at a top clinic. Bloxham is also great but I still think if you can choose between H&W and Bloxham, I would go with H&W. That is nothing against Feller and Bloxham at all, they do great work and Bloxham posts a lot on this board, but I can't think of many (any?) clinics that would beat H&W.

• Like 1

Dr Bloxham has come far since his moderating days. And i have seen some really good FUT work from him. But no I don’t think there is a better place to go too than H&W. Everyone’s top clinics are different, but they have to be in most peoples top choices 👌

Edited by JohnAC71

8 minutes ago, TrixGlendevon said:

It is not odd but you haven't told us anything like where you want the hairline etc. Typically somewhere between 1500-2000 would give you a very good result. I think FUT is the way forwards for you - I was on track to be a NW5 too (see my thread) and went with FUT. The scar is a non-issue at a top clinic. Bloxham is also great but I still think if you can choose between H&W and Bloxham, I would go with H&W. That is nothing against Feller and Bloxham at all, they do great work and Bloxham posts a lot on this board, but I can't think of many (any?) clinics that would beat H&W.

I just took a look at your thread, very nice work and yes i can definitely see that scar being a non issue even at shorter lengths. I believe it will serve you well since you are not taking meds from a long term perspective.

After seeing Aftermath's Hasson result, his hairline looks killer and I am pondering whether that is something i should seek as well from Hasson or is it too aggressive for me.

I feel like it's all a balancing act

9 minutes ago, JohnAC71 said:

Dr Bloxham has come far since his moderating days. And i have seen some really good FUT work from him. But no I don’t think there is a better place to go too than H&W. Everyone’s top clinics are different, but they have to be in most peoples top choices 👌

Agreed. There are so many variables to consider however once someone starts getting more comfortable with the idea of FUT i believe there is great potential long term. Ultimately I prefer to have more hair as opposed to shorter lengths. Meaning I would rather be able to cover my crown than have the ability to buzz down my hair.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, kramer79 said:

I just took a look at your thread, very nice work and yes i can definitely see that scar being a non issue even at shorter lengths. I believe it will serve you well since you are not taking meds from a long term perspective.

After seeing Aftermath's Hasson result, his hairline looks killer and I am pondering whether that is something i should seek as well from Hasson or is it too aggressive for me.

I feel like it's all a balancing act

Again, this is why people are recommending in-person consultations. I think the decision regarding the clinic has been made and you are going with H&W. Now let them guide you as to what it is that will give you the best result for your unique case. They have been doing this for years and that is why they are in everybody's top 3 clinics. I would still have consultations with other clinics though to get their opinion(s) to inform your conversation with H&W.

My scar is invisible even at a number 3 in direct sunlight. I don't know if I could cut it shorter because I have never tried.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, TrixGlendevon said:

Again, this is why people are recommending in-person consultations. I think the decision regarding the clinic has been made and you are going with H&W. Now let them guide you as to what it is that will give you the best result for your unique case. They have been doing this for years and that is why they are in everybody's top 3 clinics. I would still have consultations with other clinics though to get their opinion(s) to inform your conversation with H&W.

My scar is invisible even at a number 3 in direct sunlight. I don't know if I could cut it shorter because I have never tried.

When you say a number 3; Do you mean scissor cut to what is considered a number 3 or buzzed. I believe when buzzed there is more of a see through effect if i am not mistaken.

Also did you do scalp exercises and how was your laxity and donor rated?

23 minutes ago, kramer79 said:

When you say a number 3; Do you mean scissor cut to what is considered a number 3 or buzzed. I believe when buzzed there is more of a see through effect if i am not mistaken.

Also did you do scalp exercises and how was your laxity and donor rated?

Both!

Yeah but only a week before the procedure as I got a cancellation appointment for a week after my consultation. He said laxity was average/normal. Donor is above average but can't remember exact number of grafts I have to donate according to Hattingen. I do remember that Feriduni said he wouldn't do more than 7,500 but I could, in theory, take up to 9,000 but this was FUE (he didn't want to do FUT which is why I didn't go with him) so I don't know if this means I would have more or the same for FUT. Irrelevant either way as I am going to have one more procedure for ideally 3,000 if my laxity can take it, or 2,500 if not, and that is me done then.

4 hours ago, TrixGlendevon said:

Both!

Yeah but only a week before the procedure as I got a cancellation appointment for a week after my consultation. He said laxity was average/normal. Donor is above average but can't remember exact number of grafts I have to donate according to Hattingen. I do remember that Feriduni said he wouldn't do more than 7,500 but I could, in theory, take up to 9,000 but this was FUE (he didn't want to do FUT which is why I didn't go with him) so I don't know if this means I would have more or the same for FUT. Irrelevant either way as I am going to have one more procedure for ideally 3,000 if my laxity can take it, or 2,500 if not, and that is me done then.

Did he talk at all about donor management?

I remember seeing Hattingen mentioning something along the lines that even if someone were to start with FUE, as long as the procedure is no more than around 1500 grafts that it would not affect the overall donor supply. I know you did a larger procedure, but was there talk about donor management because i am trying to see how low the amount of grafts someone can start with FUE before it starts compromising the lifetime donor supply.

9000 is alot to do through just FUE.

Also did you get any shockloss? I ask becuase if i plan to address the crown i still have hair there but want to reinforce it.

Thanks

Edited by kramer79

3 minutes ago, kramer79 said:

Did he talk at all about donor management?

I remember seeing Hattingen mentioning something along the lines that even if someone were to start with FUE, as long as the procedure is no more than around 1500 grafts that it would not affect the overall donor supply. I know you did a larger procedure, but was there talk about donor management because i am trying to see how low the amount of grafts someone can start with FUE before it starts compromising the lifetime donor supply.

9000 is alot to do through just FUE.

Also did you get any shockloss? I ask becuase if i plan to address the crown i still have hair there but want to reinforce it.

Thanks

Discussing donor management in what sense?

I don't think anybody knows the answer to that question. Just start with FUT and then you don't need to worry about it.

He said mathematically it could be 9000 but he would never do that as it would make my donor look ridiculous. I am sticking to his advice/calculation and only going with 7,500, max. Another doctor, recommended on here, actually counted my donor with a microscope and clearly miscounted because he said I have 9,000 which was dismissed at pretty much every other doctor who looked at my head. That is a shocking mistake for a top surgeon as he designed a hairline etc on that basis.

You can see my starting point on my thread (feel free to take a look) and see that I didn't have enough hair on top to experience shockloss.

After re-reading your thread I see that a conservative hairline was suggested since you aren't on meds which indicate a management of how grafts will be used so that's good.

I guess I will just wait to get HW suggestions and based on that will have a much clearer idea on how i will proceed.

1 hour ago, kramer79 said:

After re-reading your thread I see that a conservative hairline was suggested since you aren't on meds which indicate a management of how grafts will be used so that's good.

I guess I will just wait to get HW suggestions and based on that will have a much clearer idea on how i will proceed.

Exactly! Keep us up-to-date with your decision(s).

FYI - Hattingen does conservative hairlines anyway but in my case, it was actually a good idea given I don't take meds.