Coffee and Fish, and Other Foods Post-Op

Hi guys, before my transplant I was told to abstain from things like fish, certain antibiotics and other stuff. I'm pretty sure I can go back to eating fish and what not now that I've had surgery but there's no harm in asking here to be sure.

Is it safe for me to start drinking coffee and eating all sorts of food now that I am five days out from surgery? I know I was told to dodge alcohol for at least 48 hours and I don't think cigarettes are to be reccomended either.

15 minutes ago, Rossybop said:

Hi guys, before my transplant I was told to abstain from things like fish, certain antibiotics and other stuff. I'm pretty sure I can go back to eating fish and what not now that I've had surgery but there's no harm in asking here to be sure.

Is it safe for me to start drinking coffee and eating all sorts of food now that I am five days out from surgery? I know I was told to dodge alcohol for at least 48 hours and I don't think cigarettes are to be reccomended either.

Coffee is safe the day after procedure. From what I gathered from various sources you'd need to abstain from drinking alcohol for at least a week. 10 days according to Dr. Edward Ball. Cigarettes are even worse, I quit smoking for good this time, really don't wanna jeopardize my success. 

Edited by UnbaldEagle
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, UnbaldEagle said:

Coffee is safe the day after procedure. From what I gathered from various sources you'd need to abstain from drinking alcohol for at least a week. 10 days according to Dr. Edward Ball. Cigarettes are even worse, I quit smoking for good this time, really don't wanna jeopardize my success. 

Cool. I don't regularly drink coffee. J drink tea every day though (hopefully tea is safe), but this evening I wanted a cup of coffee so I had one mild cup of coffee. I'll probably stay off the drink until I look good enough to go out socializing again and that won't be for a while so abstaining is no problem lol. I'll probably stay off cigarettes for as long as it takes too.

That's right - Saifi reccomended abstaining from fish for like 1 - 2 weeks prior to surgery. Maybe it makes the scalp more oily.

2 hours ago, JohnAC71 said:

Eating and drinking normally will be fine! Treat yourself 

I think I'll avoid overdosing on alcohol for a while. I don't eat much junk food, just once a week or so, but if its safe to have junk food once a week or so then that's good to hear. Another thing is gym supplements; I'm not sure if its safe to use bulking powder and creatine just a few weeks after a transplant. Do you know anything about this?

1 hour ago, UnbaldEagle said:

I must admit, I've been drinking a lot of coffee since my HT as I quit smoking so it serves as a substitute for now. 

Hope it won't be detrimental because of its diuretic effect? I try to drink more water though. 

Cool. Best of luck on giving up the cigarettes. I only gorge on them when I'm out drinking and I plan on staying off booze and smokes for as long as it takes to nurture my new hair. If you're a bit worried about the coffee maybe you should try to limit your intake, or mix it up a little, have a hot chocolate or a cup of tea every once in a while instead of coffee. Drinking plenty of water is defo a good idea so I'd keep going with that if I was you.

7 minutes ago, Rossybop said:

Cool. Best of luck on giving up the cigarettes. I only gorge on them when I'm out drinking and I plan on staying off booze and smokes for as long as it takes to nurture my new hair. If you're a bit worried about the coffee maybe you should try to limit your intake, or mix it up a little, have a hot chocolate or a cup of tea every once in a while instead of coffee. Drinking plenty of water is defo a good idea so I'd keep going with that if I was you.

I gave up smoking after my first Ht. and not smoked since. That was over 10 years ago. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, JohnAC71 said:

I gave up smoking after my first Ht. and not smoked since. That was over 10 years ago. 

Wow! Good for you man. Well done. How's your HT after 10 years, is it still awesome? I know I shouldn't smoke but when I go out socializing I like to hang around the smoking areas and enjoy a few cheeky cigarettes.

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Rossybop said:

Wow! Good for you man. Well done. How's your HT after 10 years, is it still awesome? I know I shouldn't smoke but when I go out socializing I like to hang around the smoking areas and enjoy a few cheeky cigarettes.

My mid scalp is weak, but it always was. What i have had done has lasted fine though! Just need final ht to be happy. 

• Like 1

Just now, JohnAC71 said:

My mid scalp is weak, but it always was. What i have had done has lasted fine though! Just need final ht to be happy. 

Awesome man. Delighted to hear it has lasted well. Hopefully if you get another one it will keep you fully satisfied for many years to come :)

Just now, Rossybop said:

Awesome man. Delighted to hear it has lasted well. Hopefully if you get another one it will keep you fully satisfied for many years to come :)

As a Norwood 6 without hts I’m fine with what I have, but will be happier still with the mid scalp sorted. 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, JohnAC71 said:

As a Norwood 6 without hts I’m fine with what I have, but will be happier still with the mid scalp sorted. 

Cool. If you think it will make you happier then go for it. I wish you all the best with it.

• Like 1

On 12/15/2020 at 9:30 PM, JohnAC71 said:

Good to see you substituted fags for follicles 😀 have you used Fin to maintain it for that long John? It's always good to hear peoples secrets to long term transplant success. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Richie888 said:

Good to see you substituted fags for follicles 😀 have you used Fin to maintain it for that long John? It's always good to hear peoples secrets to long term transplant success. 

Nope I’m not any meds. Already was a Norwood 6. Slight Risk of losing more? Maybe 🤔 but in 10 years no change. I would still say to people to weigh up what’s right for them on a individual basis. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, JohnAC71 said:

Nope I’m not any meds. Already was a Norwood 6. Slight Risk of losing more? Maybe 🤔 but in 10 years no change. I would still say to people to weigh up what’s right for them on a individual basis. 

Ahh ok, yeah starting at a NW6 certainly tweaks the odds. Well I'm glad you've had a good 10 years anyway and hopefully many more. 

• Like 2