Shaving head

6 minutes ago, ciaus said:

I was until the lockdown. I've been working from home since March and my company has already given the ok to keep doing it all next year. When I do go out I wear ballcap for now. If it wasn't for the lockdown I wouldn't have had the courage to buzz down, and now that I have I do prefer it, not just in terms of convenience, but I like how it looks. 

This is why I've commented on a few threads where young guys with aggressive loss were asking about options, telling them to consider how even if they don't like how being buzzed/shaved looks now, they may grow into it when their face/head shape matures as they get older and end up actually liking it.

Are you really able to conceal the scar having it buzzed? I know you said you plan on grafting into it. I feel like that’s the number one reason why patients are so indecisive on getting a HT to begin with. Fearing the fact that they will never be able to shave their head once they begin surgery and create scarring. That’s the boat I’m in. I’m prepared to go to war with HT tho, if i need 3 over my lifetime so be it 

Edited by James C

2 minutes ago, James C said:

Are you really able to conceal the scar having it buzzed? I know you said you plan on grafting into it. I feel like that’s the number one reason why patients are so indecisive on getting a HT to begin with. Fearing the fact that they will never be able to shave their head once they begin surgery and create scarring. That’s the boat I’m in. I’m prepared to go to war with HT tho, if i need 3 over my lifetime so be it 

When going in for FUT hair transplant, keep in mind that you won't be able to rock a buzz cut without the scar showing. I believe the shortest you can go is a grade 3 to cover the scar. I will find out when I trim my hair in 3 days. After understanding this, also know that when you decide to stop doing hair transplantations (after your 3rd or 4th or however many you decide to), you can do an FUE at the end to fix your scar and put grafts in it. There's also SMP as an option. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, James C said:

Are you really able to conceal the scar having it buzzed?

Thats my mission, but if it doesn't work out not the end of the world, just let my hair grow back out and I'll have some permanent concealer on the scalp so I won't have to use as much dermmatch and toppik.

Look at Gatsby's smp before/after pics here, even his thinner scar on the top is alot wider and whiter than mine. It gives me some hope and something to shoot for! :D

image.png.da1f51b8db83488f40fc15fd663edef3.png

2 minutes ago, ciaus said:

Thats my mission, but if it doesn't work out not the end of the world, just let my hair grow back out and I'll have some permanent concealer on the scalp so I won't have to use as much dermmatch and toppik.

Look at Gatsby's smp before/after pics here, even his thinner scar on the top is alot wider and whiter than mine. It gives me some hope and something to shoot for! :D

image.png.da1f51b8db83488f40fc15fd663edef3.png

I never understand how some people have scars like that but no hair on top lol 

13 minutes ago, James C said:

I never understand how some people have scars like that but no hair on top lol 

In his case he got his transplants back when he was really young, bad work obviously, definitely a cautionary tale, and he often posts on topics to help young guys not make the same mistakes.

• Like 1

Just now, ciaus said:

In his case he got his transplants back when he was really young, bad work obviously, definitely a cautionary tale, and he often posts on topics to help young guys not make the same mistakes.

Yeah i figured it was done when transplants weren’t as efficient as they are now. I think in the hands of the right surgeon you’ll be just fine. 

i'm not sure anyone has mentioned the cons of SMP yet. 

-only lasts 4-5 years, have to get it redone, etc.

-just like any tattoo, the sun makes it fade away. So it is wise to put sunscreen on it to limit sun exposure (which seems like a pain)

-seems even harder to find a good SMP guy than it is to find a HT doc 😀

If people are fine with the above then I think SMP to cover a scar is a good way to go...

• Like 1

On 12/13/2020 at 10:30 PM, ciaus said:

I was until the lockdown. I've been working from home since March and my company has already given the ok to keep doing it all next year. When I do go out I wear ballcap for now. If it wasn't for the lockdown I wouldn't have had the courage to buzz down, and now that I have I do prefer it, not just in terms of convenience, but I like how it looks. 

This is why I've commented on a few threads where young guys with aggressive loss were asking about options, telling them to consider how even if they don't like how being buzzed/shaved looks now, they may grow into it when their face/head shape matures as they get older and end up actually liking it.

I agree when you grow older you look better with a shaved head !

• Like 1