Creatine, Exercise and Supplements

Hi guys,

I'm hoping to get my makeover next week and I believe I have to stay out of the gym and avoid intense exercise for at least 3 - 4 weeks post-op. I was planning on getting into the gym in January and blasting creatine, maybe weight gainer and some regular heavy exercise for at least 2 months or so.

Can this potentially f**k with the development of your new hair? I know it can tamper with male hormones, blood pressure, testosterone and so on. I'll happily take it handy if is best to do so but if supplements and training have no effect on my hair then I'll go right ahead and start bulking with my scabby transplanted head lol.

Some people will tell you that yes, it will. Personally, I believe that if it did make a difference, that the difference would be negligible. But I sincerely do not believe this impacts hair loss. Taking meds like fin are significantly more important, imo.

I've been lifting consistently for about 4 years now. I recently had my second FUT surgery and began lifting and taking creatine + my whey protein powder about 3.5 weeks after surgery. I do suggest easing into your lifting routine and not going balls to the wall if you got a FUT; you don't want to stretch the scar. I imagine this will be a non issue at the 6 week mark.

I also recommend taking a shower and washing your scalp immediately after you get back from gym. Personally, I recommend using only conditioner, something like Panteen with extra hydration. Aside, I believe lifting improves healing, growth. I have no scientific evidence to suggest that, but I healed quick (and much faster than my first HT, where I wasn't lifting or nearly as active).

I sincerely believe this forum should start talking about diet, exercise as part of the overall HT journey, but that's just my personal two bits and it's ok if anyone here disagrees with anything I said.

• Like 1

FUT procedure w/ Dr. K (2012)
Second FUT, Dr. K, Nov. 2020 (mini update)
Third procedure, FUE, Dr. K, 03/21, 400 beard to scar (latest update)

Hey man, thanks for your input. I hope your next transplant works wonders and I hope you've been pleased with the first one.

Your response is cool and much apprecieated but I'd defo like to hear some more viewpoints before I decide to start pumping iron or not. I was looking to go pretty much balls to the wall for a month or two come January, and then dissapear from the gym and return to my natural habitat - the smoking area of the pub - come March or April. If I'm best off sitting at home on my bum then that's no big deal. It honestly won't bother me that much.

• 4 months later...
On 12/5/2020 at 8:20 AM, champybaby said:

Some people will tell you that yes, it will. Personally, I believe that if it did make a difference, that the difference would be negligible. But I sincerely do not believe this impacts hair loss. Taking meds like fin are significantly more important, imo.

I've been lifting consistently for about 4 years now. I recently had my second FUT surgery and began lifting and taking creatine + my whey protein powder about 3.5 weeks after surgery. I do suggest easing into your lifting routine and not going balls to the wall if you got a FUT; you don't want to stretch the scar. I imagine this will be a non issue at the 6 week mark.

I also recommend taking a shower and washing your scalp immediately after you get back from gym. Personally, I recommend using only conditioner, something like Panteen with extra hydration. Aside, I believe lifting improves healing, growth. I have no scientific evidence to suggest that, but I healed quick (and much faster than my first HT, where I wasn't lifting or nearly as active).

I sincerely believe this forum should start talking about diet, exercise as part of the overall HT journey, but that's just my personal two bits and it's ok if anyone here disagrees with anything I said.

Late to this discussion but wanted to say I'm in alignment with @champybaby here. I'm of the opinion that getting back to "Work" helped with my healing and regrowth each time as it's known that exercise increases growth hormone production, which in turn aids in healing and regrowth, as well as helps regulate our overall hormonal balance for optimal recovery.

I take a daily regimen including amino acids, proteins, collagen, and superfoods. I also lift daily and use my rower and take long walks every day. I am about 40 days out since my most recent surgery and seeing decent coverage already. I began doing light exercise again at exactly the four week mark, but resumed my supplement regimen the day after surgery. 

On 12/5/2020 at 2:09 PM, Rossybop said:

Hi guys,

I'm hoping to get my makeover next week and I believe I have to stay out of the gym and avoid intense exercise for at least 3 - 4 weeks post-op. I was planning on getting into the gym in January and blasting creatine, maybe weight gainer and some regular heavy exercise for at least 2 months or so.

Can this potentially f**k with the development of your new hair? I know it can tamper with male hormones, blood pressure, testosterone and so on. I'll happily take it handy if is best to do so but if supplements and training have no effect on my hair then I'll go right ahead and start bulking with my scabby transplanted head lol.

I would be quite weary taking creatine, there has been studies and research shown that it can increase DHT. I've been training all of my life pretty much (Boxing and Bodybuilding) Every time I add in creatine.. at about week 3-4 I start to notice a lot more shedding so I just avoid it now. Weight Gainers / Protein etc is fine as long as they are creatine free.