Crust removal

Hey all,

I am now 17 days post op. According to my instructions, (starting several days ago) during my daily hair washes I should be actively going into the recipient area loosening and getting  rid of the crusting- either by gently massaging with my fingertips or with a sponge. I stopped this after the 1st day (1 think 3 days ago) bc I found it too nerve wracking. Afraid that I may accidently pull out graphs and ruin some of the procedure.

How important is it to get rid of the crusting? Currently, I am very conservative for my daily hair washes. I simply just pat the shampoo in the graph areas and rinse. I definitely still have some crusting, but my technique (although conservative) seems to be pretty effective at removing crusts. And additionally, I am not experiencing any scalp discomfort, irritation. or itchiness in the graph area. So I am wondering if I can just stick to this conservative hair washing technique, and let the crusting come out naturally. 

Edited by Kevin8890

Run the shower over your crust for a full 10 mins. While the it is still running, start to massage the crusty areas with your fingers. The crust will come away within a couple of minutes of massaging with your fingers as it will have heavily softened after 10 minutes of soaking.

Edited by LondonRamen

It's important to remove the crusts to provide a clean free environment for the regrowth to take place and allow the new hair shafts to grow through...often the hair stubble within the graft will also come off with the crusts...that's not a lost graft so no reason to worry.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY