Does it make sense to apply Minoxidil to donor area?

I'm looking to get my first hair transplant with Eugenix once this Corona pandemic is behind us. I've been using both Finasteride and Minoxidil for decades, and was wondering if I were to apply Minoxidil to my donor area prior to my procedure, would it help to minimize shock loss or reduce the stress factor for the transplanted hairs? I'm looking to get my procedure done around the September 2021 timeframe, so that would leave me with plenty of time to treat the donor area before going under the knife.

I should also add that my donor area is in great shape because of the use of Finasteride all these years, and would just looking to put myself into the best position for success.

Most of the research I've done has never pointed to anyone doing much of anything from a prepping standpoint to the donor area before having surgery, but would love to pick the brain of this highly intelligent forum for any insight. 

• Valued Contributor

You will be asked to stop minoxidil post surgery (and possibly pre) for at least a month if you have surgery with Eugenix. Speak with them about the use of minoxidil. You've chosen an excellent clinic and will be in good hands. All the best.

• Like 1

I’m booked with Eugenix tentatively for March 2021 (really hoping I can make it and not be restricted from traveling from the US due to COVID), and my advisor says you need to stop using minoxidil one week prior to surgery.

Regarding using it on the donor, I’m not sure but I’d certainly recommend asking them first.

• Like 1

The only donor area prep I've heard of is scalp laxity exercises to loosen your skin up for FUT procedures, where they cut out a strip of your donor area instead of extracting the hairs individually like they do during a FUE procedure. I think Eugenix only does FUE anyway so you wouldn't need to do that.

You're already on finasteride, so just get plenty of sleep, eat clean, good stress mgmt in the weeks before and after your procedure.

Stopping minoxidil before/after a procedure is because it dilates your blood vessels, which can cause excessive bleeding during the procedure and in the immediate healing days after. That being said, any time period longer than 2 weeks before and after the procedure is excessive and has no medical basis, and just increases the chances that you'll do some shedding. Its just one of many variations you'll notice between doctors when it comes to their pre-op and post-op instructions.

Edited by ciaus
  • Like 4