How many singles are needed for the hairline?

How many singles are needed for the hairline? If it can be described in not only graft count, which I guess can vary a bit depending on the size of one's head, but also number of single haired graft "rows", then that would be very helpful.

I guess if we're thinking of a 1cm^2 area with 50 grafts (as is usual for high density hairlines), then we'd have around 7x7 (= ~50) grafts, meaning a single row of 1cm width should contain around 7 single hair grafts. I guess a hairline is around 15 cm wide? So 15 * 7 = 105 grafts, that means if we want two rows of single haired grafts (2/7 of a cm in length) then we'd need 210 single haired grafts. I'm not sure how many rows are required.

Thoughts?

18 minutes ago, giegnosiganoe said:

How many singles are needed for the hairline? If it can be described in not only graft count, which I guess can vary a bit depending on the size of one's head, but also number of single haired graft "rows", then that would be very helpful.

I guess if we're thinking of a 1cm^2 area with 50 grafts (as is usual for high density hairlines), then we'd have around 7x7 (= ~50) grafts, meaning a single row of 1cm width should contain around 7 single hair grafts. I guess a hairline is around 15 cm wide? So 15 * 7 = 105 grafts, that means if we want two rows of single haired grafts (2/7 of a cm in length) then we'd need 210 single haired grafts. I'm not sure how many rows are required.

Thoughts?

I've been told once by a rather reputable clinic that they do one "row" of singles, as that should be able to camouflage the multis behind it, granted the transition to doubles, triples, etc. is gradual. 

Imo it should be more than one "row", especially if not all singles grow back. Your estimate sounds about right.

I do believe that a hairline, since it is not really a straight line, would generally be more than 15 cm usually. I usually use consistently around 400 single hair grafts for the transition zone. This is usally 2-3 rows along with some micro and macro irregularities (which increases the surface area). For some reason, this number is generally satisfying to me in terms of the areas covered, the irregularities and the density. Yet it just doesnt extend too far back. The third or even fourth row usually has singles with some doubles blended in too. If you think about it, 15 cm requires roughly 150 single hairs if you go every mm with a graft. Multiply that by 2 or 3 and you get roughly at least 300-450 hairs needed depending on the various variables. 

Dr. Taleb Barghouthi approved and recommended on the Hair Transplant Network. You can schedule a virtual consultation with me here.

Contact me via WhatsApp at +962798378396 (Jordan) 

Social media:

Facebook

YouTube

Twitter

Instagram

Thanks for the input @UnbaldEagle  and @DrTBarghouthi.

@UnbaldEagle would you be able to share which clinic that is?

Another question - does this also depend on the caliber of the hair? If the hair is very fine (say 50um) then do they need a bit less singles, and focus more on multi hair grafts to get a good appearance of density?

2 hours ago, DrTBarghouthi said:

I do believe that a hairline, since it is not really a straight line, would generally be more than 15 cm usually. I usually use consistently around 400 single hair grafts for the transition zone. This is usally 2-3 rows along with some micro and macro irregularities (which increases the surface area). For some reason, this number is generally satisfying to me in terms of the areas covered, the irregularities and the density. Yet it just doesnt extend too far back. The third or even fourth row usually has singles with some doubles blended in too. If you think about it, 15 cm requires roughly 150 single hairs if you go every mm with a graft. Multiply that by 2 or 3 and you get roughly at least 300-450 hairs needed depending on the various variables. 

In your experience, do single grafts grow slower/differently than multigrafts? I am 3 months post FUE and for some reason, 1-2 rows of singles on my left side have not started to grow... whereas they have on my right side.

3 hours ago, giegnosiganoe said:

Thanks for the input @UnbaldEagle  and @DrTBarghouthi.

@UnbaldEagle would you be able to share which clinic that is?

Another question - does this also depend on the caliber of the hair? If the hair is very fine (say 50um) then do they need a bit less singles, and focus more on multi hair grafts to get a good appearance of density?

Yes this might lead to needing less singles in the front, but i always avoid having any fine doubles in the first two rows at least even if hair calibre is fine. The sight of one double haired follicle in the front can be quite obvious even if hair calibre is fine. Fine hair might need less refinement when choosing the singles or creating them, but it is always safer to have strictly singles in the transition zone of the hairline. 

• Like 1

Dr. Taleb Barghouthi approved and recommended on the Hair Transplant Network. You can schedule a virtual consultation with me here.

Social media:

Facebook

YouTube

Twitter

Instagram

1 hour ago, yalla8 said:

In your experience, do single grafts grow slower/differently than multigrafts? I am 3 months post FUE and for some reason, 1-2 rows of singles on my left side have not started to grow... whereas they have on my right side.

Not noticeably different. We usually see growth happening uniformly at different stages of growth. I've never seen bigger grafts growing and then the hairline starting to grow. It is a dynamic process and usually everything grows at random rates together. Having said that, you are still at a very early stage of growth. 

• Like 1

Social media:

Facebook

YouTube

Twitter

Instagram