Growth vs Maturation of transplanted hair

I had my second hair transplant with Dr Yaman, almost 11 months back. I probably posted on here, but my first transplant with another doctor was a failure, and barely any of the grafts ended up growing. I am happy with the way the hairline has turned out, and the results look pretty good, hairline wise thus far, but unfortunately behind the hairline, the density is an issue. I don't think it would be fair to say that the hair isn't growing because it is. I have been taking pictures, every month and it is apparent, that the hair is popping through. I think the issue in density is due to the slow maturation of the hairs in the midscalp/crown region. While the hair is popping through, it seems to be growing quite slowly, and taking quite a while to mature. I have read online, that most of the results should have come in by now, so I am a bit concerned. Is it possible that it might take a full 18 months, before I see the final results, since I might be a slow grower, or would the lack of maturation of the transplanted hair, more likely point to the transplant failing. I have talked to the doctor, and was told to wait a year, before judging the results, but being a month away, from that point, I don't really expect much change. 

• Moderators

You may still get a bit of maturing over the next few months. I haven't sen any pictures of you, but something to be aware of is that most clinics will put more density in a band along the hairline to create a dense look from the front and then grafting less dense behind it, so you don't use up too many grafts. The thinking is you can be a bit thinner going towards the mid scalp as it's an easy area to cover with your existing hair combing over it and isn't as noticeable as the front.

Edited by BeHappy

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.