1 Month post operation and I am gaining redness / discomfort? Is this normal at this stage or a sign of something more serious? Infection?

Hi,

I am one month post operation and over the last 5-7 days I have been feeling pain, discomfort, tightness and a feeling the area is a bit inflamed with redness appearing, this was the same feeling I was feeling 3 days post operation. This pain has not eased up and has concerned me as it has been 1 month, this pain originally went after 7 days and now its back? This is causing me concern as it may have affected the transplanted grafts and area but also that it could be something serious as an infection or nerve damage??

Or is this potentially a normal thing and my head trying to heal its self?

Regards

Edited by RyanB

• Administrators

Did you get FUE or FUT?

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• Administrators
Just now, RyanB said:

I had FUE, been in contact with the surgery and they told me its Folliculitis and to get some cream for it.

Ok that makes sense can you post pictures? Is the pain coming from the donor?

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Hi Melvin, I will try get some pictures to help explain. The pain is from the transplanted area at the front of my head. I hope with time and this cream it heals. My anxiety is not good with this.

It's very reassuring that you reached out to your doctor and they've already been able to diagnose this and provide you with a treatment plan. At one month post-op, the chances of this negatively impacting your HT are extremely low from what I understand of the studies. The grafts are anchored and secure by now, so it's simply a matter of clearing up the infection on your scalp. Did your doctor happen to mention whether or not you should be concerned about the grafts? If I were you, I'd reach out to them to get confirmation for your own peace of mind, but I truly don't think you have anything to worry about, particularly given that you've already taken the appropriate steps to get this handled. 

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

On 10/31/2020 at 6:32 PM, pkipling said:

It's very reassuring that you reached out to your doctor and they've already been able to diagnose this and provide you with a treatment plan. At one month post-op, the chances of this negatively impacting your HT are extremely low from what I understand of the studies. The grafts are anchored and secure by now, so it's simply a matter of clearing up the infection on your scalp. Did your doctor happen to mention whether or not you should be concerned about the grafts? If I were you, I'd reach out to them to get confirmation for your own peace of mind, but I truly don't think you have anything to worry about, particularly given that you've already taken the appropriate steps to get this handled. 

Hi pkipling,

I stressed my concern to them about my worries about the grafts and they reassured me the grafts will be fine. I wasn't sure if they would give this response automatically as they would not like to own up to potentially a mistake in the procedure. However, I am hopeful as it has been 1 month post op, grafts will be safe.

Did you have Folliculitis before the transplant? I also have Folliculitis, not that much, maybe around 10 that pops in and out and moves around to different hair follicles. This has worried me a bit for a upcoming hair transplant. Wouldn't want it to be worse. Do you have a pic to share?