Leeson, miked, bash. Sorry to rain on your parade, I've been taking (methyl-sulfonyl-methane), MSM, for many years...It was prescribed by my physiotherapist for back pain, muscle spasms, etc., I was on anti-inflamatories at first, but they were hard on my stomach...So I was told to try MSM...It works well, but does "not" grow hair or nails faster...That's just a myth...I have asked many different Dr.'s,(gp,HT,surgeons,even the pharmasist), they all laughed at me when I mentioned that it was rumored it can help grow hair faster...Remember guys, never and I meen never take a drug or supplement for anything other then what it is ment for...Just MHO..

Just a thought from the peanut gallery...

Pure MSM (such as lignisul) is one of the least toxic substances in biology, similar in toxicity to water, and far less toxic than common table salt.

Whether you believe MSM will help hair growth or not, at least it is safe.

Also, I wouldn't take what a doctor, surgeon or pharmacist tells you like it's the ultimate truth.

In the era of information, it's surprising (and maybe unfortunate) to see that ordinary people are sometimes more informed about some health matters than many doctors...

Power to the People.

Thanks Spex.

All, how many of you out there take msm? Any further comments on its effectiveness with hair loss? I'm now taking it in addition to finpecia, nizoral and the laser comb!

but does "not" grow hair or nails faster...That's just a myth

The rate at which one's hair (and nails) grow is purely a genetic determination. (Just like one girl, can grow her hair very long, and another one cannot). I have always maintained this and I doubt SEVERELY that MSM can increase the rate of hair growth. (Maybe the thickness of the hair shaft...I don't know)

I take MSM, just like Biotin, only as a dietary supplement, but I think I might abandon MSM soon.

take care...

I have been on and off MSM for years, does it speed up my hair growth? well thats hard to tell. I am certain that it speeds up my nail growth, of that I have no doubt.

Now, is this the MSM or the placebo effect? I'm not sure, I do KNOW - while taking MSM, I need to cut my nails far more often.

In the era of information, it's surprising (and maybe unfortunate) to see that ordinary people are sometimes more informed about some health matters than many doctors...

So I guess next time I need some medical advice or treatment, I should go down to the local 7 eleven, and ask the cashier for advice? Your a funny guy SERIOUS...

I have to agree with Serious. Not everything a doctor or pharmacist tells you should be taken as gospel - especially when it comes to natural/herbal treatments.

If it's not a synthetic drug many will tell you it's useless; if you told a doctor or pharmacist that you have never had a cold due to eating massive amounts of garlic, many will laugh at you as they did when you suggested MSM speeds hair growth. Does that mean what people have believed and used for thousands of years is wrong and doesn't help, just because a doctor says it does'nt? I don't believe so.

Also, this has been discussed before and there has been studies done on MSM effectiveness in growing hair.

Here's the link of the discussion: Thread

Edit:

The link in the above discussion is dead now and I can't find another source, the link below is a short write up:

MSM Study