Hair transplant before and after care

Hey guys, 

I am planning on my first HT ever with Dr. Hasson, since it's something i've been wanting to do for years and finally saved enough to be able to, i need your help as i'm scared s**tless and im afraid i'd do something to screw it up. i need advice on:

1. Pre operation supplements or routine that would help with the scalp health

2. how to improve healing and reduce chances of welling/redness/scarring.....etc?

3. how to maximize transplanted grafts survival and growth?

4. Do's and Don'ts from your experience.

thank you all for the help!!

Hi its definitely an important decision and commitment in your life, but not something that you personally should stress out over in terms of causing a bad outcome.

The doctor is the one that screws these up the vast majority of the time -when there are screwups. But you've made an excellent decision with Dr Hasson so there's that to help you with your piece of mind. His pre and post op instructions should be your primary reference, even above what you read on this forum. Run your questions and decisions by him too so you don't end up doing something with good intentions that could end up actually jeopardizing your results. You may want to keep a little journal/list of what you pickup/learn from now through to your procedure. And then bring them up to him before the day, or on the day of the procedure when you will be spending up to the whole day with him to make sure you haven't been led astray, etc.

If you do take or start any supplements or meds of course tell Dr Hasson -especially the ones that could effect blood clotting. Usually the doc will tell you to stop those up to about 10 days prior and 5 days after the procedure. 

If you don't already have a recliner/lazyboy, look into one of those pool-side lounge chairs you can lay out on with the adjustable back --but you don't want to use it outdoors, stay out of the sun as much as you can in the days after - You want it so you can keep your head above your chest/heart in the days after the procedure. I used one of those to kick back and watch tv/read during the days after in my living room with one of those. And at night for sleeping, if you don't have an adjustable bed or don't want to sleep in the lazyboy etc,  look into 'bed wedges' (search amazon.com for "GERD wedge") -they are what people with acid reflux use to keep their head elevated to prevent excess stomach acid from traveling to their esophagus and mouth while they sleep -different reason from what you need, but the end result is the same- your head ends up being raised above your heart.

And relax, stress, especially the nagging chronic type of stress is bad for your mind and your body -which includes your hair. You are moving forward towards solving your problem, this should be a time of hope -just don't set impossibly high expectations.

Couple questions for you too if you don't mind

-how old are you and when did you start losing? are you planning on fue or fut? and are you taking finasteride or minoxidil?

Edited by ciaus

Relax, you're going to be fine!  My only advice is to try to stay close to the clinic for about 3-4 days so they can help with the cleaning and double check on things.  This will help prevent scab build up.

Edited by aaron1234
  • Like 1

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

I opt for the TLC approach for at least a month.  Others will have you scrubbing your head in a week.  I used vinegar and water and baby shampoo for the first month, and pour cups of water over my hair to rinse it and let it air dry.  I am the extreme TLC end of the Spectrum .  If you err my way what is the worst that can happen?  I err on the side of caution.

"Imagination frames events unknown in wild fantastic shapes of hideous ruin, and what it fears, creates." Hannah More