Minoxidil Usage Before and After Transplant

Hello. I have seen some conflicting information regarding the usage of minoxidil prior to and after a hair transplant. My understanding towards minoxidil is that when you stop using it you will subsequently lose a lot of native hairs that were dependent on it. I have also seen posts where the surgeon recommended the patient to stop using minoxidil for months after their procedure. Given the loss of ground that occurs when halting usage of minoxidil, doesn't it make sense to just continue using it daily even after a transplant? I was hoping someone with knowledge on this topic could share some insight. 

• Like 1

A theory is that minoxidil keeps hair in the growth phase for longer.  If you stop using it you might experience say a 15% loss of density as some of those hairs may decide to shed.  If it is in an area that regrew hair significantly when you started using it, then unfortunately the results will likely reverse after a couple of months.

I think my doctor's instructions were to stop min a day or two prior, but it can be restarted to non-transplanted areas after about 7 days.  It could be applied to grafted areas about 3-4 weeks afterwards.

Don't quote me, but that is my vague recollection.

Edited by 1978matt
  • Like 1

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

I think the same goes for finasteride also. I have seen people posting here that they were prescribed finasteride for 6-8 months after a transplant and then they had to stop it. The shedding phase while starting and while stopping made me skeptical whether to go for it or not.