How donor from sides/back acts once transplanted?

Say, someone is taking no medication for hair loss, and have enough donor on the sides and back of their head to be transplanted to the top.

So, over the years, the hair on the sides and back has been resilient to hair loss, but the top has not.

Once grafts from the sides/back of head are transplanted to the top, generally speaking, do these continue to grow as they did when on the back/sides i.e. they are resilient to hair loss? Or alternatively, do they "grow" as the previous hairs on top did i.e. fall out without medication to fight against this?

Thanks.

It behaves as it would have in its original location.  Google 'donor dominace hair transplant' for more info.

• Like 1

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

• Moderators

It grows the same as it would have grown in it's original location. If the hair in and around the donor area that the transplanted hair was taken from starts falling out then the transplanted hair will be falling out too as it will be going through the same process as the remaining hair from the area it was taken.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

• Moderators
On 7/9/2020 at 6:59 PM, paddyirishman said:

If the hair has been extracted from the safe donor area and implanted you will not lose it . You don't need medication for transplanted hair, it's to hold onto your hair for longer thats outside the SDA.

The problem with this is that some people don't have a safe donor area. This is one of the biggest lies in hair transplants. Your hair will not always be permanent and grow forever. It all depends on what your donor area (so called safe zone) would look like in the future. If in 10 years your "safe" donor area will start falling out then if you have a hair transplant the transplanted hair will only last those 10 years before starting to fall out.

When I was going for my hair transplant way back when I was young I knew my donor area was going to thin out a lot over the years as I had several older relatives with almost no hair left on the sides of their heads and I could see I was following the same pattern. They were much older than me and at that point there was no way these men could have had a transplant as they didn't have enough remaining hair to work with. Everything I read or was told about hair transplants always had the same answer when it came to donor hair claiming the reason hair transplants work is because once the hair is transplanted to another location it will never fall out and will grow for the rest of your life, so I went and had as much hair transplants as I could to make sure my hair would never fall out. I didn't just go an do it without thinking about it. I actually didn't believe it could be true, but the "Dr" (I found out 5 years later that he wasn't a Dr) was so sure that it would work that he told me I could pay extra for a guarantee that they would double the amount of hair in my donor area by moving it around while also moving a lot of it to the bald areas on top, so I would have a totally full head of hair and I could never run out of donor hair that way.

The thing is if they actually tell you the truth that the transplanted hair could fall out in a few years plus you'll have less hair in the "safe" area so when that starts falling out it will look thinner even sooner than it would have since they already removed a lot of it, then hardly anyone would get a transplant. So they can't tell you the truth.

I'm not against hair transplants. They do work if you aren't going to end up a NW 7 or have thinning donor areas in a few years, but some of those NW 3 and 4s getting hair transplants are going to lose a lot of donor area hair as they get older and some will end up NW 7s, so plan accordingly an really think about where you feel you will end up. This is also why I think beard and chest hair should be used from the start rather than waiting to use it as a last resort. Body hair to your head is the only actual way to get more hair growing on your head from a hair transplant. Moving it around your head doesn't get you any more hair. If you have plenty and only have a small area to fill then moving some around will work, but if you have a large area to cover and a small donor area then moving it around will never get you anything worth it. Use body hair. This is what Eugenics and a few other clinics have realized is the only real way to go.

Edited by BeHappy

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.