Shaved Head Advice

Those of you who completely shave their heads BEFORE HT, with a razor, any advice for me?

When do you start shaving again AFTER HT?

When does the contrast between your "bald" area and your hair area disappear or lessen? This is what I am most interested in. I hope you understand my question. When we shave our heads, it is clear (to us) where are hair starts and stops, because of the contrast with the bald-bald area (the top) and the hair-shaved bald area (the sides)

Anything?

Not quite exactly sure what you're asking. I believe most guys who get HT's don't shave after because that was the point in getting one in the first place.

If you go with strip, you won't be able to shave as the scar in the back will be visible.With FUE, you should be able to shave, but I hear the myth about no scarring isn't really true.

Now, if you are asking when the grafts start to come in, then I can help answer that. The grafts will be there for the first few weeks after surgery and then they will fall out (shed). They will start to come in at around 4-5 months and get thicker from there.

Hope that helps

Current Regimen:

.5mg Fin ED

Minox 2x daily

Nizoral 1% 2-3 times a week

Fish Oil capsules w/ Omega-3

The problem with shaving your head for a procedure, strip or FUE, is that the procedure then becomes visible.

You will have redness in the recip area and depending on your physiology you will have redness than can last a few weeks in the donor area from the FUE. For strip you will have a noticeable incision.

The benefit is that many docs prefer it. They say it makes it easier to tell the true angle of the hairs which makes extraction easier.

Had 3k With Umar on Feb 16, 2009

My Hair Loss Website

Most docs typically have you let your hair grow out for a while so the strip scar will be covered and like Abe said the way the hair falls (if you have any).

I shaved mine down to a #2 at the one month mark and you can check out my blog to view those.

Abe and Space make good points.

My initial HT thread:

done and done!! Check it out...

Originally posted by savemylife1:

Those of you who completely shave their heads BEFORE HT, with a razor, any advice for me?

When do you start shaving again AFTER HT?

When does the contrast between your "bald" area and your hair area disappear or lessen? This is what I am most interested in. I hope you understand my question. When we shave our heads, it is clear (to us) where are hair starts and stops, because of the contrast with the bald-bald area (the top) and the hair-shaved bald area (the sides)

Anything?

It takes at least three months for most people to see their grafts begin to grow (they might do so sooner, but they mostly will fall out within a couple of weeks). If your look tends to be "razor-shaven," why, exactly, are you considering spending so much on a hair-transplantation procedure?

Thank you guys for the response, but I think I did not make it clear enough. First, I would be getting a FUE procedure, so the strip scar is not a concern.

http://z.about.com/d/menshair/1/0/3/1/-/-/bald6.jpg

Here is Bruce Willis, assuming he shaves his head bald with a razor. The top of his head looks like he doesn't ever grow hair, the sides look a different shade because he still grows hair.

I am curious, at what point will it look on top, as it does on the sides. Or atleast, when will the contrast decrease.

So, when where there be evidence that hair DOES grow on the top part of the head, even if it is not thick or full.

savemylife1 - Great question.I have asked this question on other forums,but I have never had a proper reply.I like the way you asked it.

I shave my head.I would be happy with a better shadow,if I can do it by having an hair transplant.

So come on someone - Please advise us?

I think I get what you are asking. The transplanted hair on top will most likely never be as thick (dark, shadow, whatever) as the hair on the sides. When the hair in the recipient region is grown out it blends in better because the transplants give the illusion of density. But a shaved head doesn't help create the same kind of illusion.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

I see what you are saying. But I dont think that much hair is needed to achieve the actual shadow. I have parts of my head, ie. a patch in the front, and still has a shadow even though it is going to be gone soon.

I am wondering if the early sprouting in months 2/3 will achieve the shadow. Even though the hair would be thin.