PRP BEFORE Hair Transplant?

Hello everyone. So I've read a lot about PRP being used with a hair transplant or being used after a hair transplant, but what about BEFORE a hair transplant? How soon after getting a PRP session done is it safe to get a hair transplant? I can figure it irritates the scalp to some degree to get needles inserted into it before going and getting a transplant, but how soon after would the scalp be fully healed and ready for a transplant? 

I'm not specifically getting PRP because I'm planning on a hair transplant, but because I'm looking to get on a PRP regimen to see if I am a good responder to it to add it to my arsenal. I've read that LLLT and PRP go well together and since I'm already doing LLLT I might as well add PRP and see how it works for me.

You can get PRP at any time.  It all depends on your circumstances and your goals.  Take a lady with black hair and light scalp, for example.  Women tend to keep the hairline and thin right behind it.  She might decide to do a PRP to see what exactly it will do.  Say in 3-6 months she experiences a positive result, (more than she thought she would), this might help her postpone a procedure for a while.  Depending on the protocol of the clinic, she may do this a number of times throughout the year, or none at all.

This scenario, in my view, is a good alternative for someone young.  Particularly for those just starting to thin.  Planning for the future often starts with medical therapies.

For someone with a distinct pattern and with a relative amount of native hair left, (and considering a transplant procedure), if find it far more advantageous to do PRP at the time of the procedure.  It can help bring in results a lot sooner and help reverse miniaturization of the native hair. 

PRP and laser therapy are an awesome combination. But be careful. Do research, view photos of results, etc.  There are plenty of clinics out there that have little to no knowledge as to how to do it correctly.  Some use a binding agent, some don.t.  Often they take too little blood.  If only a syringe size, that's not enough.  Also, if they tell you to return in a matter of weeks, that's not good either.

Have you decided on the clinic? What type of laser are you considering? Every detail you decide will make a difference. 

There's a place in the area that injects 12mL of PRP. As far as the laser, I'm not using the professional laser that you get once a whatever at a clinic, I have an every other day use laser helmet that I've been using. What is this about a binding agent though? I was asking all kinds of questions about the concentration of the PRP but didn't hear anything about a binding agent. Thanks.

3 hours ago, Superteeth said:

There's a place in the area that injects 12mL of PRP. As far as the laser, I'm not using the professional laser that you get once a whatever at a clinic, I have an every other day use laser helmet that I've been using. What is this about a binding agent though? I was asking all kinds of questions about the concentration of the PRP but didn't hear anything about a binding agent. Thanks.

The binding agent is typically a matrix.  Ask them. They should be able to tell you.

Ah, like ACell/ECM? Assuming that's what you mean, I don't know, to my understanding the literature comparing PRP with and without ACell/ECM is almost non-existent. And when you add ACell/ECM it gets a lot more expensive, such that a series of three treatments can cost as much if not more than a medium-sized hair transplant, which is guaranteed to get you hair whereas the benefits of ACell/ECM for hair growth aren't really as clear. But no, it's just plain PRP.

I had PRP done at the time of my last transplant in 2018.  I cannot give an objective review of its efficacy, but the transplant went well.

"Imagination frames events unknown in wild fantastic shapes of hideous ruin, and what it fears, creates." Hannah More

IMHO, I don't think it's really necessary pre-op and especially if you are having it in conjunction with a procedure.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

I think a better way to frame the question is whether or not hair transplant doctors recommend against PRP shortly before the procedure. Because maybe it stresses the scalp too much. Maybe the trauma of PRP injections harms the ability of grafts to take. Or something. So that's what I was wondering. If doctors say not to have PRP say, within 2 weeks of the procedure.

I could not agree more and some guys have experienced shock loss from PRP treatments...certainly none of us would want that before the procedure.

Gillenator

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Alright Gillenator. It turns out I'm getting a PRP treatment on June 16th and July 16th. I noticed that you have True and Dorin as your supporting physicians. As it turns out, I'm getting my procedure done with them! I have it scheduled for August 4th, and I am very excited! I opted for their PRP as well, so it'll be a little more than two weeks after I receive the prior PRP treatment, I will verify that this is not going to be a problem with the doctors. I see fantastic results with relatively few grafts being used in the hairline, and that was just what I was looking for. I will most definitely post my progress here once I get the procedure done, and hope to be added to the hall of fame before/afters on their website!

On 6/3/2020 at 7:30 PM, Superteeth said:

Alright Gillenator. It turns out I'm getting a PRP treatment on June 16th and July 16th. I noticed that you have True and Dorin as your supporting physicians. As it turns out, I'm getting my procedure done with them! I have it scheduled for August 4th, and I am very excited! I opted for their PRP as well, so it'll be a little more than two weeks after I receive the prior PRP treatment, I will verify that this is not going to be a problem with the doctors. I see fantastic results with relatively few grafts being used in the hairline, and that was just what I was looking for. I will most definitely post my progress here once I get the procedure done, and hope to be added to the hall of fame before/afters on their website!

That's awesome my friend...I wish you the best and please know you are in great hands...and I will look forward to your progress updates as well...😉

• Like 1

Gillenator