Does only transplanted hair fall out after an FUE OR all hair?

Hey All, Sorry if this is ignorant..I'm just not sure based on what I've seen...after a hair transplant, what hair falls out around the 4 week mark? Just the transplanted hairs or all hair on the head?

Thanks for any info. 

9 hours ago, CK37 said:

Hey All, Sorry if this is ignorant..I'm just not sure based on what I've seen...after a hair transplant, what hair falls out around the 4 week mark? Just the transplanted hairs or all hair on the head?

Thanks for any info. 

The transplanted graft sheds the hair around 4-6 weeks, but your naive hair may also shed in some areas due to shock loss and trauma from the procedure in surrounding areas, and that’s normal.

• Moderators

You can get some temporary shock loss in the donor area where the hair was taken from. You can also get some temporary shock loss in the recipient area if you still have some hair there. In rare cases there can be some shock loss in areas that weren't being worked on. The areas that lost hair will grow back over time. The amount of hair that falls out and how fast it grows back varies in everyone and there's no way to know how it will affect any individual, although if you are going for a second or third procedure I'd say that what happened on your first procedure is a good indication of what will happen on future procedures, but that can vary as well.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.