Irregular thinning - all over - please look at the pics and share your feedback.

Hi -

I'm a 33 year old guy who has been taking Propecia for 2 years now. I have had good results with propecia but now it looks like maybe I'm seeing hair thinning again. I mean, the Propecia worked really well and there was a noticeable difference and I have taken it daily since starting in January 2007. (In other words, I haven't stopped taking it for anything more than a few random days here and there). Is it possible that Propecia only works for a period of time and then it stops?

My hair thinning doesn't follow the patterns of male baldness... it's thinning ALL over.. and I mean on the sides and other areas where it shouldn't really thin.

With my irregular pattern, could I be a candidate for hair transplant surgery? Are hairs implanted on the sides or only the top of your head? Will I suffer from shock loss?

I'm really frustrated and self-conscious about my appearance. I've posted pics on picasaweb (copy the ENTIRE link) of what's going on... note that I photographed my hair after waking up -- it's slightly better after showering and brushing my hair - but this gives an indication of the density.

My thinning hair pics

Thanks for any advice. I'm really struggling with this. ANyone else in my shoes??

Hi -

I'm a 33 year old guy who has been taking Propecia for 2 years now. I have had good results with propecia but now it looks like maybe I'm seeing hair thinning again. I mean, the Propecia worked really well and there was a noticeable difference and I have taken it daily since starting in January 2007. (In other words, I haven't stopped taking it for anything more than a few random days here and there). Is it possible that Propecia only works for a period of time and then it stops?

My hair thinning doesn't follow the patterns of male baldness... it's thinning ALL over.. and I mean on the sides and other areas where it shouldn't really thin.

With my irregular pattern, could I be a candidate for hair transplant surgery? Are hairs implanted on the sides or only the top of your head? Will I suffer from shock loss?

I'm really frustrated and self-conscious about my appearance. I've posted pics on picasaweb (copy the ENTIRE link) of what's going on... note that I photographed my hair after waking up -- it's slightly better after showering and brushing my hair - but this gives an indication of the density.

My thinning hair pics

Thanks for any advice. I'm really struggling with this. ANyone else in my shoes??

i am sorry to hear about your situation.

your hair loss seems to resemple the actual "diffuse alopecia" not a typical thinning.

read a bit on this, it looks like it would be depressing.

consult with a good HT doctor, not necessarily for a transplant, but maybe because they have experience with issues/disorders relating to hair loss of all forms.

I am personally not in your shoes, I am thinning in an obvious norwood 5-6 pattern with wet hair, but not that low on the sides man.

good luck

2998 grafts/ Dr. Rahal/ 9/11/2007

My Hair Loss Weblog - Hair Transplant with Dr. Rahal

Pretty damn happy

chicago,

The good news is, you still have a lot of hair, and it's possible that non-surgical treatments may work for you.

Typically, men and women with thinning on the sides and back of their scalp aren't hair transplant candidates since there is no donor area "safe zone".

Due to your irregular hair loss pattern (which may in fact be DUPA - diffuse unpatterned alopecia), it would be wise to get tested by a dermatologist to rule out any non-genetic causes.

I hope this helps.

Bill

Originally posted by Bill - Associate Publisher:

Due to your irregular hair loss pattern (which may in fact be DUPA - diffuse unpatterned alopecia), it would be wise to get tested by a dermatologist to rule out any non-genetic causes.

Thanks for the quick reply -- very helpful.

Can anyone recommend a good dermatologist in the Chicago area that would specialize in this?

Yeah, I wouldn't go rushing to get a transplant right now. I do think your hair would benefit from some dermmatch right now. But yeah, definitely see a dermatologists.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group