Manual vs. Motorized FUE Which is Better

• Administrators

This questions seems to come up constantly, I'm really interested to hear what the community thinks, do you guys feel one method is better than the other? 

Manual VS Motorized FUE Which Is Better?

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

My understanding is that motorized punches reduce surgeon fatigue. But, like anything else, a good surgeon will still be a good surgeon, with a manual or a motorized punch. An improved punch system won't reform a sub-par skillset.

• Like 1

• Moderators

There are some really good motorized punches out there these days that have variable speed rotation that can oscillate at a very slow speed if the Dr wants/needs it to depending on the patients scalp.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

This used to be a huge topic back in the day. The debate used to go something like:

“manual is better bc there is more tactile feel for the surgeon/tech and less stress/heat on the grafts since the hand is rotating the punch handle at low speeds”

“but motorized leads to less fatigue for the surgeon/tech and leads to less out of body time since you can extract quicker”

repeat

from the results I’ve seen, I think Melvin is correct, it’s not about the tool (unless we’re talking about artas or other crap tools like neograft) but more of the skill of the person using it.

ive seen amazing results from clinics using both

when I consulted with hasson they moved from manual over to the waw motorized system and he even showed me pics of examples of extracted grafts (waw vs strip) and the quality of the waw trumpet punch was great. Many top clinics are using the waw system nowadays 

ive also seen clinics use no name Chinese punch systems like cinik and I believe dr Ferreira with great results.

Edited by LonelyGraft

• Administrators
7 hours ago, BeHappy said:

There are some really good motorized punches out there these days that have variable speed rotation that can oscillate at a very slow speed if the Dr wants/needs it to depending on the patients scalp.

Yea, there’s a really good tool that I saw firsthand with Dr. Mohebi, it was the trivellini system. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

• Administrators
7 hours ago, LonelyGraft said:

This used to be a huge topic back in the day. The debate used to go something like:

“manual is better bc there is more tactile feel for the surgeon/tech and less stress/heat on the grafts since the hand is rotating the punch handle at low speeds”

“but motorized leads to less fatigue for the surgeon/tech and leads to less out of body time since you can extract quicker”

repeat

from the results I’ve seen, I think Melvin is correct, it’s not about the tool (unless we’re talking about artas or other crap tools like neograft) but more of the skill of the person using it.

ive seen amazing results from clinics using both

when I consulted with hasson they moved from manual over to the waw motorized system and he even showed me pics of examples of extracted grafts (waw vs strip) and the quality of the waw trumpet punch was great. Many top clinics are using the waw system nowadays 

ive also seen clinics use no name Chinese punch systems like cinik and I believe dr Ferreira with great results.

Honestly, it was because Dr. Lorenzo, who at the time was as hyped as Cuoto did only manual. So people thought, he’s the best he does manual, therefore, manual is best.

View my thread