Physical trauma and balding...

Is there any kind of proof that the onset of balding could be advanced by physical trauma?

My friend suffered an accident and they performed a surgery to implant a nail in his leg.

In the 4-5 months after this, he lost an amazing amount of hair and noticed the first signs of balding only then.

Prior to this his hair was full and normal.

What do you guys think about this?

BlackJack,

Trauma related hair loss is non-genetic and typically temporary, that is unless he's already suffering from pattern baldness. If your friend has the balding gene(s), (as others have already indicated) the trauma may accelerate male pattern baldness. As hair loss due to trauma starts to grow back, miniaturizing hairs on their way out due to genetic baldness may not grow back. Any terminal hair not currently affected by DHT however, should grow back normally.

Most importantly, I hope your friend has had a succesful recovery and is back to normal (even if his hair isn't).

I hope this helps.

Bill

Hi,

Yes, my friend is fully recovered and well now. Thanks for your concern.

But the trauma seems to have jumpstarted his balding and advanced it by at least 5-6 years.

For a person who had normally growing hair before the accident to suddenly lose hundreds of follicles in a span of just 5-6 months is horrific.

If your friend has the balding gene(s), (as others have already indicated) the trauma may accelerate male pattern baldness.

I'm pretty this happened to me when I was 21. I actually think it was stressed induced because of a nasty break-up. I'm sure I would have started balding sooner or later... but I'm convinced the stress jump started the hair loss.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

I feel the same way, Aaron. In the span of 6months I went from a mildly diffuse NW1.5 to a NW4, in a period of time that was extremely high-stress.

Incidentally, since that "traumatic" environment subsided, my MPB became far less aggressive. Of course, I also got on fin.

Not that I actually think my pattern or destination has been changed, but I do feel that high-stress/trauma can induce an acceleration of your MPB revealing itself.

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!