FUE First, Then FUT second time... more grafts available?

Hey guys. So I had 2700 FUE done 5 years ago. Overall I’ve been happy however every now and then the transplanted hairs go through these cycles of thinning and then thickening which tends to really bother me.

so I wanted to get another FUE. However, I went to see Dr Bloxham in NY for an analysis of how many grafts I have left in my donor. He said that FUE would give me 1300-1500 grafts, while he could get a lot more via FUT that will be higher quality, plus will allow to have more surgeries in the future.. potentially 3k grafts I believe is what he mentioned.

I kind of wish I did FUT first and then FUE, but what’s done is done.

now looking forward... I would like to know how many people went from FUE to FUT second time around. How’s the donor looking, hows the scar looking... and basically.. are you happy?

Exact scenario with me had 1551 grafts fue and my second ht was with bloxham for 1986 grafts fut

donor doesn’t look bad, Dr Bloxham did mention it affected how many grafts he could of got from fut obviously since my donor was previously picked through.

i have a thread open in my signature with pictures of my scar. I think it looks good.

im happy I went with Dr. Bloxham because it was a completely different experience for the good. Not that my first wasn’t a good experience because it was just wasn’t as dense I wanted. I think with Dr. Bloxham he gave me what I wanted (density).

only time will tell if I’m happy with the final outcome since I’m barley at 1 month post op.

post some pictures if you can and how old are you ?

Edited by Tbcruz

Your scar and surgery look top notch!

did Dr Bloxham give you an idea of how many more grafts you can get from FUT if you needed it in the future?

Thanks!

he estimated that my second fut procedure would yield around 1700. He did not mention total capacity tho. I guess it’s something I will ask him when I go for my 6 months follow up.

That’s pretty awesome so you have a good amount of grafts left for a third surgery 

I have had 2 FUTs and will get maybe 1 more FUT and then FUEs or go straight to FUEs. @Dr Blake Bloxham is very good at both FUE and FUT and is a standup guy. You're in good hands with him.

Edited by Dr. Suhail Khokhar

My advice does not constitute a patient-physician relationship nor as medical advice and all medical questions/concerns should be addressed to your medical provider. 

IMHO, starting with FUHT is the way to go regarding achieving the ultimate graft harvest...then FUE would be the way to finish should more grafts be needed to finish.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

16 minutes ago, gillenator said:

IMHO, starting with FUHT is the way to go regarding achieving the ultimate graft harvest...then FUE would be the way to finish should more grafts be needed to finish.

Yes for sure, if I could I would go back and do FUT first, but unfortunately I did FUE first. It’s not the end of the world though, most def will do FUT next.

Not all is lost my friend...please let us know how your next procedure turns out...😉

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

6 hours ago, Tbcruz said:

Exact scenario with me had 1551 grafts fue and my second ht was with bloxham for 1986 grafts fut

donor doesn’t look bad, Dr Bloxham did mention it affected how many grafts he could of got from fut obviously since my donor was previously picked through.

i have a thread open in my signature with pictures of my scar. I think it looks good.

im happy I went with Dr. Bloxham because it was a completely different experience for the good. Not that my first wasn’t a good experience because it was just wasn’t as dense I wanted. I think with Dr. Bloxham he gave me what I wanted (density).

only time will tell if I’m happy with the final outcome since I’m barley at 1 month post op.

post some pictures if you can and how old are you ?

Hopefully your fut turns out good. I too went to Dr. Nader and I had way more hairloss than you going in. I will say your disappointment with fue was like someone else mentioned in your post. You had a very small procedure for such a large area. I have thinner hair than you but had 8300 grafts fue in 3 procedures between front and crown. Fut is not better and I will put my results against anyone of Dr. Bloxham patients with my degree of hairloss. 

28 minutes ago, Guy73 said:

Hopefully your fut turns out good. I too went to Dr. Nader and I had way more hairloss than you going in. I will say your disappointment with fue was like someone else mentioned in your post. You had a very small procedure for such a large area. I have thinner hair than you but had 8300 grafts fue in 3 procedures between front and crown. Fut is not better and I will put my results against anyone of Dr. Bloxham patients with my degree of hairloss. 

That’s crazy man, wow. I had 2700 by Demirsoy, and now getting quotes from HLC and they saying they won’t do more than 1700 FUE since it’s “already thin”.

Dr Bloxham Also said the same, but he says FUT will allow me more.

i think I can settle with a hidden scar and just learn to like growing my hair out. Maybe SMP if I really don’t like longer hair on the sides..

Pics of me after 2700 donor extracted

4FF56962-1E70-4DAE-AFCA-C66F4F622A06.jpeg

1E707847-FADD-418F-9767-179515C2F785.jpeg

FD8E0965-E020-4227-A4A2-863C7D65D339.jpeg

1903E240-61F4-488F-9C30-07D76D237F8A.jpeg

F1ADD1A3-680D-4EF8-A5AC-BCA93E066ABC.jpeg

752B47D3-B6DE-4D95-8302-120EED315DAB.jpeg

If you want your hair short do NOT and I mean do NOT do a FUT!! You are playing Russian roulette on how it will turn out. Especially because you have darker hair it will stick out!!

Edited by Guy73

15 minutes ago, Guy73 said:

If you want your hair short do NOT and I mean do NOT do a FUT!! You are playing Russian roulette on how it will turn out. Especially because you have darker hair it will stick out!!

I’m gonna first do some experiments with longer hairstyles to see if it suits me. Hopefully it does

7 minutes ago, Irry88 said:

I’m gonna first do some experiments with longer hairstyles to see if it suits me. Hopefully it does

Maybe the punch size they used was too large making your donor area thin. I would do another fue using a 8mm punch and use a doctor that could somehow blend that out a little better. All a fut will do is make your situation worse that I promise. 

18 hours ago, Guy73 said:

Fut is not better

Yea that’s why I said it was not that dense but I think the procedure went good it put hair where I didn’t have hair before. To say ”fut is not better” doesn’t make sense to me or with the facts of both procedures. The point in having a hair transplant is to have hair on your head. The most reliable way of doing so consistently is through fut. Fut does also allow you to move more hair. Those are facts not opinions.

now having scars on the back of your head is a given with both. But I will agree that the strip does limit you from going shorter in the back than fue. I personally think it’s a good trade off. Increase my odds of having a homerun ht (better survival rate and more available grafts) for a scar that I can cover up with smp or fue.

16 hours ago, Guy73 said:

I would do another fue using a 8mm punch and use a doctor that could somehow blend that out a little better. All a fut will do is make your situation worse that I promise. 

you don’t get to choose the size punch they use on you. The doctor is the one that makes that decision that’s why some fue scars are worse than others. An fut will give you more hair in the end and that’s the whole point of getting a hair transplant is to have hair and we always want more !

Irry88 do some more research. Weight in the good and bad from both. Ask for more opinions these are mine but I suggest you take everything into consideration.

goodluck

3 minutes ago, Tbcruz said:

Yea that’s why I said it was not that dense but I think the procedure went good it put hair where I didn’t have hair before. To say ”fut is not better” doesn’t make sense to me or with the facts of both procedures. The point in having a hair transplant is to have hair on your head. The most reliable way of doing so consistently is through fut. Fut does also allow you to move more hair. Those are facts not opinions.

now having scars on the back of your head is a given with both. But I will agree that the strip does limit you from going shorter in the back than fue. I personally think it’s a good trade off. Increase my odds of having a homerun ht (better survival rate and more available grafts) for a scar that I can cover up with smp or fue.

you don’t get to choose the size punch they use on you. The doctor is the one that makes that decision that’s why some fue scars are worse than others. An fut will give you more hair in the end and that’s the whole point of getting a hair transplant is to have hair and we always want more !

Irry88 do some more research. Weight in the good and bad from both. Ask for more opinions these are mine but I suggest you take everything into consideration.

goodluck

Well I have been through the process 3 times and have looked and many results from fut and even they say  it moves more hair I don’t see it. Realize that fut is much faster for the doctors and less time consuming for them. That is the reason in my humble opinion they push that as the gold standard. But according to the gurus I must be 1 and a million because by their advice I could never achieve the coverage and density by FUE. Maybe I am just extremely lucky 🤔. Also punch size is usually determined by the diameter of your hair but 8mm can be used even on thick hair so in theory there should no reason why a doctor can’t use that size. Unless your head is a majority of 3-4 hairs per graft. Show me a guy who has done FUT in one pass with no “see through” in bad lights? Which I would assume hairs might able to placed tighter with fue than fut🤔

Also it is ultimately going to come down to how many graft per sq cm placed that will determine your end results. 

FUE is a lot easier to deal with for sure, but when multiple clinics are telling me that I have a limit on how many more FUE I can do... I'm obviously going to lean toward FUT. I dont want to screw myself by killing all my donor at age 35... you get what I'm saying?

3 minutes ago, Irry88 said:

FUE is a lot easier to deal with for sure, but when multiple clinics are telling me that I have a limit on how many more FUE I can do... I'm obviously going to lean toward FUT. I dont want to screw myself by killing all my donor at age 35... you get what I'm saying?

I understand it’s kind of a double edge sword. If your donor area is thin, A big line going across is going to be somewhat noticeable even at a three guard.  if you use a option “B” Grabn  hair from ear to ear and trying to pull grafts out fue Meticulously to even out that thinning. Whatever you do good luck!

42 minutes ago, Guy73 said:

Well I have been through the process 3 times and have looked and many results from fut and even they say  it moves more hair I don’t see it. Realize that fut is much faster for the doctors and less time consuming for them. That is the reason in my humble opinion they push that as the gold standard. But according to the gurus I must be 1 and a million because by their advice I could never achieve the coverage and density by FUE. Maybe I am just extremely lucky 🤔. Also punch size is usually determined by the diameter of your hair but 8mm can be used even on thick hair so in theory there should no reason why a doctor can’t use that size. Unless your head is a majority of 3-4 hairs per graft. Show me a guy who has done FUT in one pass with no “see through” in bad lights? Which I would assume hairs might able to placed tighter with fue than fut🤔

Also it is ultimately going to come down to how many graft per sq cm placed that will determine your end results. 

Well even if we say we can get equal amounts from both. Knowing that more grafts will survive from fut should be enough. I think fut is the gold standard because no matter what kind of hair you have or how frágil your grafts are most of them will survive. Some people do have everything going for them and have an amazing result from fue. I wouldn’t gamble on it tho lol. If I was new to this I would prob do a small run of fues to see how they do and If they did good then I would consider it an option. Because who wouldn’t want to get a great result going fue route? The scaring is less noticeable compared to fut