Should You Use Instagram To Research A Hair Transplant Surgeon?

• Administrators

There has been some talk on the forum lately, of some clinics that are 'rock stars' on Instagram, but what do you guys think. Is the information you get on Instagram fair and balanced? Is it even reality? I would love to hear the communities thoughts and input.

Should You Use Instagram To Research A Hair Transplant Surgeon?

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

No because anything can be photoshopped or enhanced on Instagram.

Go to a forum read real life experiences with untouched photos from actual people. 

I seen that hair of istanbul place. They got a lot of followers, but nobody here knows who their doctors are who the hell they are. They probably bought their followers to make it look like they some real deal. I had a look at any results on forums for them and could not find any, which says it all. 

• Like 1

• Administrators
1 hour ago, makemefamous19 said:

Go to a forum read real life experiences with untouched photos from actual people. 

I seen that hair of istanbul place. They got a lot of followers, but nobody here knows who their doctors are who the hell they are. They probably bought their followers to make it look like they some real deal. I had a look at any results on forums for them and could not find any, which says it all. 

Great points, a lot of so-called influencers buy followers, murky water navigating social media. Nothing is what it seems.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

2 hours ago, makemefamous19 said:

That clinic is the perfect example actually. 1.2 million followers on Instagram and almost 450 google reviews with an average 5 star rating. It is total BS and manipulation to lure suckers that don’t do enough research. On the flip side look at Asmed who I’m pretty sure is by far the most popular clinic in Turkey and has only 5,500 followers on Instagram and less than 100 google reviews. 
     Forget about dissecting the actual quality of their results of the work they do, any clinic that behaves in unethical and deceptive marketing practices like this should be ashamed. I wish google and Facebook would actually do more to stop this kind of behavior. It’s one thing for a restaurant to behave like this where the worst case scenario is you get suckered into having a bad meal but more online regulation is needed for medical type establishments performing surgeries that will effect people for the rest of their lives.

Deceptive marketing happens on some online forums from US clinics too. On another US forum a clinic just posted a result insinuating that it was recent. I responded back with proof that this was actually done 7 years ago in 2013. The moderator didn’t approve my post though. Go figure. Everyone beginning their research should learn how to sniff out this kind of deceptive marketing and never consider any kind of medical or cosmetic facility that behaves like this.

• Administrators

Not all forums are created equal, just like anything. The standards and ethics vary widely. I always say don’t take my word for it, but use the collective wisdom of the community, that are other patients with nothing to gain.

• Like 1

View my thread

• 1 month later...

Here's what I've found to be lacking on instagram and reddit as compared to HRN -- very few patient submitted cases.

Clinic cases are only a good idea to see what the clinic thinks of as successful. User submissions, for all their flaws, are the best thing about this place.

• Administrators

User submissions is how we started, an exchange of genuine information. No hype or BS. 

View my thread