How has your life changed after getting an HT?

I wanna start this topic to encourage people who are on the fence about getting an HT, to help them getting a new perspective. The decision to undergo surgery took me a really long time, and every step was filled with paralyzing doubt and dread. Getting the money, trying to know whether I was a suitable candidate, picking one doctor instead of another, mapping out the time off work, the pain of the surgery and the inconvenience of the days after, then the first months where you don't see any progress and wonder if it's all been for nothing... It was all draining, but in the end it's been 100% worth it. A HT won't give you happiness or solve all your problems, but it would be disingenuous to say it doesn't help. 

I think that, for a newbie, this forum can be very helpful and informative but also discouraging at the same time. You can get lost in between all the people disappointed by the results, the botched jobs, complications post-surgery, sky-high expectations... But the thing you have to remember is, most people have really good results. And once they get them, they get away from forums and go back to living their lives. It's healthy in a way, but it leaves a very skew vision of HT. So let's use this occasion to talk about the effect HT has had in your life, and spread some good vibes.

My case was mostly thinning and low hair density. I still had a good hairline but you could see my scalp, which made me very insecure (much more than I'd have admitted at the time). I tried Toppik and other hair concealers, but the effect made the hair look dirty and quite unnatural. I keep telling myself it wasn't so bad, but it was. Only now, a year post-HT, I can feel the difference. My confidence greatly increased, I feel much more at ease with myself and that translates to your environment. Thinks like flirting, having a heated debate with a coworker are much more easier now. Before I either felt I alternated between being too agreeable or too aggressive in order to overcompensate how I was feeling at the time. While post-HT I'm just calm and relaxed, secure in my habilites, which inspires respect. 

And the thing is, most of the time, no one will know you had any change done. Unless you're completely bald and come to the office next time with a full set of hair, people won't know. They'll say "you look great, you've been working out?" or "new clothes? love your new style". To them you just look younger, healthier, more well groomed and put together. Even if if for you, it's clear that the only difference is the hair, they don't, and won't put 2 and 2 together (at least consciously).

Everything isn't rosey, though. There's always like things you wish had knew before the surgery or details that you're unhappy with. In my case, in hindsight, I'd have corrected a bit my mature hairline. Also, I didn't ended up getting as much thickness and density as I'd have wished. But those are minor nitpicks, overall. My main and only big regret is not having done it sooner. 

My final advice to everyone considering HT is, by all means, get as informed as possible in regards to the procedure. But don't let the avalanche of information paralyze you, either. Try to get the best doctor possible, and know that in the end, everything is a leap of faith. You could get killed every time you cross the street, but that doesn't mean you have to be a shut-in and never leave your house.

• Like 2

This forum is an excellent source of information.  Growing old is a bitch, and a bald head is a big part of that.  I say anything you can do to improve your looks should be done.  I am 14 months post my last transplant, and I am happy with the results. 

"Imagination frames events unknown in wild fantastic shapes of hideous ruin, and what it fears, creates." Hannah More

• Administrators
2 hours ago, Dazed said:

This forum is an excellent source of information.  Growing old is a bitch, and a bald head is a big part of that.  I say anything you can do to improve your looks should be done.  I am 14 months post my last transplant, and I am happy with the results. 

This is true, but what about us that went bald young, it’s even worse. I recall being 27 and not being carded for liquor. I was with all of my friends and they’re all being carded except me. Terrible feeling. Now at 34 I still get carded.

For me getting a hair transplant made me normal again; it made me feel how it should’ve  been, and I think a lot of younger guys feel the same But I agree anything that boosts your confidence and is a self-improvement should be done.

• Like 2

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

2 hours ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

This is true, but what about us that went bald young, it’s even worse. I recall being 27 and not being carded for liquor. I was with all of my friends and they’re all being carded except me. Terrible feeling. Now at 34 I still get carded.

For me getting a hair transplant made me normal again; it made me feel how it should’ve  been, and I think a lot of younger guys feel the same But I agree anything that boosts your confidence and is a self-improvement should be done.

I can't relate to losing hair at 27 because I really didn't notice my hair loss until my 40s. Nobody at 27 wants to look old.  Hair transplants at any age surely improve your self confidence, but I believe it would have a higher impact at 27.  Basically it improves the dating game especially for a young man.

"Imagination frames events unknown in wild fantastic shapes of hideous ruin, and what it fears, creates." Hannah More