Should I Get A Hair Transplant?

• Administrators

I was asked this a couple of days ago via PM. While many in the industry like to downplay surgery, I think we need to remember that it is a surgical procedure, and should be taken seriously. I notice a lot of guys shopping for surgeons like they'd shop for a new TV on Amazon. The difference is a TV you can return, a bad hair transplant stays with you wherever you go. 

What do you guys usually tell guys who are interested in having a hair transplant? I'd love to hear the communities input.

Should I Get A Hair Transplant?

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Well, it’s not clear cut.  Definitely should be taken very seriously as it is surgery.  Very few docs probably do this surgery ethically with an ethical surgical protocol.  Im harmed and still harmed and waiting to get out of this situation.  I didn't deserve this and no one does.  It is the most painful thing to go through.  Just want this to be over with soon.  Folks want to see me in person,  feel free.  I am just a war Veteran trying to get this situation resolved due to the krap done to my scalp.  It’s taking a toll and trust me a lot of folks concur here including multiple professionals that have seen what was done. 

Folks may need to think twice to sit and talk to a smiling doctor nodding to everything and acting like your result will be high density or showcase or that their FUT yield matches their FUE yield or whatever they want to make claims for.  

if you start this journey, Document and record every goddam thing.  Talk to multiple surgeons that may give you multiple options.  Do not fall for the marketing.  Just try to meet real patients that are not clinic pushed, but self reporting individuals.  See if they can meet you in person and DO MEET REAL patients in person.  The more you meet that have similar hairloss as you and hair texture as you, the more you will realize what may Possibly be achievable if all goes well.

Best of luck to all that do go for it but if you do just be really careful.  Not everything is open and honest and clear ad it seems.  

• Thanks 1

• Administrators

Great post Sean and I agree with everything you said.

• Thanks 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

11 hours ago, Sean said:

Well, it’s not clear cut.  Definitely should be taken very seriously as it is surgery.  Very few docs probably do this surgery ethically with an ethical surgical protocol.  Im harmed and still harmed and waiting to get out of this situation.  I didn't deserve this and no one does.  It is the most painful thing to go through.  Just want this to be over with soon.  Folks want to see me in person,  feel free.  I am just a war Veteran trying to get this situation resolved due to the krap done to my scalp.  It’s taking a toll and trust me a lot of folks concur here including multiple professionals that have seen what was done. 

Folks may need to think twice to sit and talk to a smiling doctor nodding to everything and acting like your result will be high density or showcase or that their FUT yield matches their FUE yield or whatever they want to make claims for.  

if you start this journey, Document and record every goddam thing.  Talk to multiple surgeons that may give you multiple options.  Do not fall for the marketing.  Just try to meet real patients that are not clinic pushed, but self reporting individuals.  See if they can meet you in person and DO MEET REAL patients in person.  The more you meet that have similar hairloss as you and hair texture as you, the more you will realize what may Possibly be achievable if all goes well.

Best of luck to all that do go for it but if you do just be really careful.  Not everything is open and honest and clear ad it seems.  

Sean, Well said.  Thanks for your service, I truly appreciate it.

I'm sorry you had a bad experience.  What part of the Country are you in?

• Like 1

• Administrators
15 hours ago, transplantedphil said:

Killer response @Sean

This is an industry built on reputation not regulation, so you are essentially on your own in trying to navigate it. The "research" motto that everyone always emphasises here is really about learning what the true risks of surgery are and what your expectations should be. Most things are not transparent and unless you start reading hair transplant textbooks it's easy to get confused and misled by some of the more unsavory clinics in their salesmanship. 

The lists of surgeons in the world who I personally consider ethical and talented i can count on my fingers, and i thank god i had one support me for my last surgery.

So to answer the question "should this person get a hair transplant"? Maybe. Depends entirely on the person. I'd be very interested in a survey of people that think their HT's were ultimately worth it

That’s a great idea. In fact, I’m gonna create a poll on here, now I’m not expecting everyone to answer, it may provide some unbiased information for anyone researching. 

View my thread

• Administrators

This is true, feelings may change. I think that a young guy could get an HT at 21 and have great results, but by the time he's 31 he may regret his decision, because of additional hair loss and the scarring which prevents him from shaving his head. These are the type of questions I want people asking themselves before going in to surgery. 

View my thread

12 hours ago, LaserCap said:

Sean, Well said.  Thanks for your service, I truly appreciate it.

I'm sorry you had a bad experience.  What part of the Country are you in?

LaserCap, thank you for the kind words and appreciation.  I am in the East Coast, NJ area.  :)