Can a surgeon perform 2 FUT's in one day

It really depends on how many grafts can be harvested from the strip being excised and the doctor's opinion on where they should be placed.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Why would you ever want to do 2 procedures on one person the same day?  To get more grafts? Not worth it......And, is the request coming from the patient or the doctor?  

1st, elasticity.  Depending on how wide the segment is, this could potentially affect how the scar(s) heals.  2nd, and let's call it a ladder, blood supply to the entire area could be compromised.  During a post op visit, I did observe a donor area from a patient that did FUT, returned 12 mo later to do another, and then he was considering a third procedure. The area in between the two scars was fairly empty and there was nothing the doctor could do.  

Typically the best approach is to take a 9mm segment, ear to ear and do as much as possible, (if the case warrants it).  Let the wound heal and, a year later, do another procedure at which time the doctor can excise the original scar.  Because the 1st scar has no hair in it, the yield is typically 10% less than in the first procedure but the donor area remains as clean as possible. And, most times, the patient can regain some elasticity.  

Getting greedy can only lead to a disaster......

• Like 1