Should pre op pics be showed as worst as possible !?

just thinking , every time i look at HT befores and after pics , its kinda wearing thin (no pun intended) see the most possible worst case sceniario pics of the situation pre surgery , i mean the use of a comb can be so misleading , its always the afters that are combed perfect to represent the best possible situ. the pre op pics never get chance of day.

Case by case there is some variability. For me, and many others, it is perfectly clear what is going on and a prospective patient can get an easy, accurate feel for things without pre-ops pics having to be manipulated one way or another.

For others, it makes sense to expose the area that is being worked on.

At the same time, I feel such cases also need to show the hair as it would typically look as "disguised" by the patient pre-op. This way, the post-op pics in such a case can be better and more simply evaluated, leaving out any guesswork and thus potential controversy.

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!

I know what you are talking about.

I took some pre-HT pics myself that shows the worse possible angles and combing seperation. But after I reach full maturity for my transplant, I will comb my hair to show the exact same combing I used in my July shot.

The pre-HT pics that SMG took actually make me look better than I am because I had grown my hair so long in preperation for the surgery. That's why I included both my pics and the ones they took in my logs.

The goal is supposed to be to take as identical before and after photos as possible. We all know this often is not the case. I think it makes the doctor look worse, because patients are not stupid and are usually can tell if the photos are different or "doctored up". However, sometimes the doctor cannot control certain things. For example, if a patient returns 9 months post-op for a follow up and after photos with much shorter hair than the before shots there is not much the doctor can do. It would be really helpful if there was more honesty and integrity displayed within this field.

Right on Dr. Charles.

Obviously, it's not always possible to take identifical before and after pictures. But I believe steps can be taken to make them as similar as possible. Photos taken in the office should always be taken under the same lighting and against the same background. Before and after pictures should show hair at the same consistency (both wet, or both dry). Though hair length may vary, pictures should be taken with hair styled similarly.

I've seen many before photos where the doctor does everything to show the obvious bald spot and then in the after pictures hair is combed over it. Whereas I don't believe that surgeons are always trying to be deceptive, there's no way for patients to accurately evaluate results with less than honest pictures.

See How to Take Realistic and Compelling Photos for more information on the kinds of photos we'd like to see doctors take and present.

Best wishes,

Bill