Growing out hair thinness

I'm a diffuse thinner with full but thin coverage. With a 1 guard I look fine, almost a full head, but I want to grow it out, especially now after a year of minoxidil and finasteride. I have seen great progress. I just can't get myself to grow it out more than a few weeks. It starts to look so thin on the top, and when I see it in my bathroom mirror I see all the patchy spots and rush for the clippers. No doubt the harsh lighting and the fact that I apply minoxidil twice a day makes the situation worse. Anybody else with this experience? I really need the nice layering that 2 inches of hair provides, but I can't get myself to stay away from the clippers during the growing stage.

1 hour ago, AssaultedByDHT said:

I'm a diffuse thinner with full but thin coverage. With a 1 guard I look fine, almost a full head, but I want to grow it out, especially now after a year of minoxidil and finasteride. I have seen great progress. I just can't get myself to grow it out more than a few weeks. It starts to look so thin on the top, and when I see it in my bathroom mirror I see all the patchy spots and rush for the clippers. No doubt the harsh lighting and the fact that I apply minoxidil twice a day makes the situation worse. Anybody else with this experience? I really need the nice layering that 2 inches of hair provides, but I can't get myself to stay away from the clippers during the growing stage.

This is common of patients experiencing the same thing.  There is a particular length, say about 1/4 inch, when the hair looks the best and fullest.  As the hair gets lengthier it starts weighing and pulls away, making the loss far more pronounced. And, I venture to say, that your hair is black.  With the added contrast of dark hair and light scalp, not good.

We all strive to look the best we can.  And, at the end of the day, you need to be comfortable with yourself.  Continue doing what you're doing while Propecia and Rogaine do their thing.  It is typically at a year that you get to see the most with the use of meds.  You may want to add PRP and laser.  Once you reach a plateau, you may want to add grafts to the frontal area so it will frame your face and add a layer of security when interacting with others. Oh, and stay away from the light......

1 hour ago, LaserCap said:

This is common of patients experiencing the same thing.  There is a particular length, say about 1/4 inch, when the hair looks the best and fullest.  As the hair gets lengthier it starts weighing and pulls away, making the loss far more pronounced. And, I venture to say, that your hair is black.  With the added contrast of dark hair and light scalp, not good.

We all strive to look the best we can.  And, at the end of the day, you need to be comfortable with yourself.  Continue doing what you're doing while Propecia and Rogaine do their thing.  It is typically at a year that you get to see the most with the use of meds.  You may want to add PRP and laser.  Once you reach a plateau, you may want to add grafts to the frontal area so it will frame your face and add a layer of security when interacting with others. Oh, and stay away from the light......

Yes, I have dark hair and light skin. I'm a very good responder to treatment, but I do see upon buzzing that my final pattern is a Norwood 6+. That final pattern combined with a below average donor area means that I'm not a good candidate for a hair transplant. I do have a great beard though. Pretty sure that can get me 2k grafts. 

I would check with a hair transplant doctor.  While the donor, towards the center of the back, may be a bit weak, the doctor may find grafts on the sides. Have him tell you what you have per procedure and and estimate of how many grafts you have lifetime.  You may be surprised.  I am glad you are doing some medical therapy. Stay on it.

• Like 1

On 7/2/2019 at 11:19 AM, LaserCap said:

I would check with a hair transplant doctor.  While the donor, towards the center of the back, may be a bit weak, the doctor may find grafts on the sides. Have him tell you what you have per procedure and and estimate of how many grafts you have lifetime.  You may be surprised.  I am glad you are doing some medical therapy. Stay on it.

Thank you. If medication holds up for the long term, I estimate I won't need more than 2k grafts to repair the midscalp. I doubt I can take much from the sides of the head. I have a short skull. My only hope is treatment + potential beard grafts. 

Edited by AssaultedByDHT

Any chance you could use Toppik when it reaches the length that the thinness starts to look noticeable? Then once you have a couple week's worth of growth, you could try a thickening hair paste/pomade, which you would put in when your hair is wet and then blow dry it. I've found this to be a great trick to add density/volume, and it may even allow you to get the desired look without the Toppik. 

• Thanks 1

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/5/2019 at 4:46 PM, pkipling said:

Any chance you could use Toppik when it reaches the length that the thinness starts to look noticeable? Then once you have a couple week's worth of growth, you could try a thickening hair paste/pomade, which you would put in when your hair is wet and then blow dry it. I've found this to be a great trick to add density/volume, and it may even allow you to get the desired look without the Toppik. 

Currently at one month of growth, the thinness is most noticeable now. I'm gonna just wear a hat for another month and a half. 

1 month post op?  You should see absolutely nothing.  Wait at least 6 months and realize that the first growth is very thin.  The caliber of the hair will improve and so will the length.  Give it a year to really see the full benefit of the procedure.  Keep up with the med and take photos.

On 7/23/2019 at 5:08 PM, AssaultedByDHT said:

Currently at one month of growth, the thinness is most noticeable now. I'm gonna just wear a hat for another month and a half. 

If your job/lifestyle allows you to wear a hat until the grafts start growing in, you might as well. Takes a lot of the stress off. I was able to wear a hat at work immediately following my procedure and it made things very easy. 

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

24 minutes ago, pkipling said:

If your job/lifestyle allows you to wear a hat until the grafts start growing in, you might as well. Takes a lot of the stress off. I was able to wear a hat at work immediately following my procedure and it made things very easy. 

Oh I didn't get an HT bro. It's just diffuse thinning.

I am at almost 11 months, and one day it will look great and the next it looks like crap.  As I think back to my youth it was that way also - it is called Bad Hair Day.

"Imagination frames events unknown in wild fantastic shapes of hideous ruin, and what it fears, creates." Hannah More