What % of grafts survive?

In talking to different HT doctors I've always gotten the impression that 100% of transplanted grafts that stay secure survive. I say "impression" because I've never specifically asked one if all the grafts survive. I'd always heard that these grafts are genetically coded never to fall out, but what happens when they're moved, and maybe compromised to a certain extent? Again, I'm not talking about the grafts that fall out before they can be become permanent.

A friend who's an internal medicine doctor said he highly doubts 100% of these grafts survive, but she couldn't put an estimate on how many usually would survive. She said it would be too subjective, specific to the patient, and skill/experience of the doctors and their techs, etc. Of course she's not a HT doc. 

But it got me wondering, how many of your past HT grafts do you think have survived? 

it’s anyones guess and mostly a BS thing in the industry. For any doctor to claim a X% survival rate, is BSing in my opinion. In order to get an actual count, they would need to somehow count each and every recipient site that they placed a graft in, and they simple don’t do that on follow up appointments. it would just frankly take too long. they do it all by eye

with that being said.. a good growth rate would VISUALLY be above 90%. but again it’s only by eye

I agree completely...the other variable is the new FUE surgeon who is learning and refining their skills...in other words, there can potentially be a higher rate of transection for someone new at practicing FUE verses someone who is already at a high level of skill and performance.

The same would be true for newer techs who are learning the extraction process and/or microscopic dissection process.

And yes, there are occasions where these damaged grafts are still placed in the recipient sites and obviously do not survive because they are damaged.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Appreciate the input guys. I think there's a reluctance to discuss this beacuase, as you say hairlosspa, there's no reliable measure. I think, too, that it points to the importance of choosing experienced surgeons, and especially staff/techs who process the grafts to have a highlevel of competency. Agree with Gillenator that techs are a crucuial part of the process. The techs perform critical functions, and > 50%  of the operation it seems, so they better be good. The techs who've worked on me seem to have been very experienced, competent, and caring people people, but I've met other HT patients ( not on this site ) who had nightmare stories. 

Surviving grafts seems to depend on multiple factors, including a doctor's expertise, their techs' experience/competency, quality of donor follicles, and responsible aftercare by the patient. Since most everyone posting here had HTs under these circumctances the question of "What do you think your yield has been?" comes to mind. Based on my experience Drs Feller and Bloxham ( and their techs ) were the best HTs I've had by far. Unfortunately, I didn't discover them earlier, but better late than never. When I came to them I had significant scarring, and little donor area left. They did excellent work under difficult circumstances which is why I highly recommend anyone of similiar background/circumstances to them. 

I don't think anybody will pin this question down.  For me it is how it looks at at least 9-12 months out and perhaps even a little longer than that.  I did not experience the shedding that is commonplace, perhaps because of my age (71), but at 8 months I am doing great.  I would be reluctant to believe any results promised for any cosmetic procedure, and testimonials can be very inaccurate.  I cannot even remember what I looked like back in 2011 before my first procedure.  I probably had one of the higher survival rates, but it would be impossible to put a figure on that.

"Imagination frames events unknown in wild fantastic shapes of hideous ruin, and what it fears, creates." Hannah More

Interesting topic and, I agree, difficult to answer.  Years ago, and even today, some doctors believe that grafts compete for blood supply at the time of surgery,  This is why most will leave a separation in between grafts to guarantee a successful procedure.  Is the take 100%?  (Nothing is 100%).  Close.  Once that first set of grafts is incorporated into the bloodstream, a patient can then consider a 2nd procedure.  But....

Within the last few years I have become aware of doctors that use advanced techniques, what I would call 3D, which allows for the "LOOK" of density with only one procedure.  The placement of the grafts is such that allows for the look of "full density." Mind you, this is graft number dependent as well as how the grafts are positioned.  I gather that the grafts are placed very closed together.  Is the take 100%  Doubt it.  High 90's?  I think so. 

Consider the hair dominance in the donor area and the type of procedure being used.  A reputable doctor will always take hair from the "safe zone."  FUE, if you've noticed, typically will take hair from "everywhere in the back," including the nape area.  If the patient is experiencing retrograde, these hairs eventually react the same way they would have if they had remained in the donor.  So for patients that complain down the road that they seem to be thinning a transplanted area, this would make sense.