Question on Wiry looking hair

In looking over HT result photos posted here and elsewhere, every now and then I see results where the hair that grows in after an HT looks wiry (a little wild looking and almost pubic hair like)

Yet it seems in many cases the hair from the donor area from those same individuals seems well behaved and uniform.

Q1 - is this appearance temporary in nature?

Q2 - Is this influenced by the method used during the HT ( ie Dr. influenced) or post op care

Q3 - or is it influenced by the patient's donor hair characteristics?

Q4 - Am i just seeing things that are not there?

In looking over HT result photos posted here and elsewhere, every now and then I see results where the hair that grows in after an HT looks wiry (a little wild looking and almost pubic hair like)

Yet it seems in many cases the hair from the donor area from those same individuals seems well behaved and uniform.

Q1 - is this appearance temporary in nature?

Q2 - Is this influenced by the method used during the HT ( ie Dr. influenced) or post op care

Q3 - or is it influenced by the patient's donor hair characteristics?

Q4 - Am i just seeing things that are not there?

A doctor probably needs to answer this, as it is where artistry meets technique.

I am of the belief that this is one of the challenges of HT, to plant the hair with correct angulation so that it grows in a natural fashion.

My natural hair is straight with maybe a very slight wave to it. The transplanted hair is not exactly as well behaved as my original hair, but it is manageable, and it grows in a fashion that is reminicent of my original hair.

I see a fair number of HTs where the hairline is low and the patient is forced to comb the hair backwards. I also see HTs where everything appears to be a wiry mess. I am not sure if this is because of donor characteristics, but is suspect it is a combination of donor characteristics, and transplant design. The angulation, density, and hairline placement will all effect this.

I asked Dr. Hasson this question about my FUE transplanted hair. The way I understood it, the removal of the graft with too much force can cause damage to the follicle and cause its hair texture to become wiry.

The hair from my previous FUT HT's are natural in texture, but my FUE hair is more wiry in texture.

Thanks. So far we are saying that

1. others sometimes also notice these wild looking hairs. (good I am not crazy)

2. That FUE vs strip may increase the chances for getting these misbehaving hairs

3. there is potential that the surgical placement technique can contribute to wiry hair.

The reason I am interested in this is that my hair tends to get wiry when long (as evidenced by my pre-op pictures). I had an HT to avoid keeping my remaining top hair long to help cover balding areas.

I would hate to end up with a head full of what ends up looking like pubic hair. So if there is something I can do to avoid that possibility I would rather know that now than later. Thanks

Originally posted by miked:

Thanks. So far we are saying that

1. others sometimes also notice these wild looking hairs. (good I am not crazy)

2. That FUE vs strip may increase the chances for getting these misbehaving hairs

3. there is potential that the surgical placement technique can contribute to wiry hair.

The reason I am interested in this is that my hair tends to get wiry when long (as evidenced by my pre-op pictures). I had an HT to avoid keeping my remaining top hair long to help cover balding areas.

I would hate to end up with a head full of what ends up looking like pubic hair. So if there is something I can do to avoid that possibility I would rather know that now than later. Thanks

Whats done is done, you just have to wait now.

I see hair transplants take two basic forms:

1) Hair in angled forward and grows forward. This allows for "ceasar style". Hair layers forward.

2) More hair is placed forward, and not angled as acutely. These people seem to grow hair upward and comb it back.

I think you will just have to see how it grows in and learn to style it the best way. I have seen guys with wavy hair where things are in total disarray. I cant help but think that better technique could have helped.

My hair has a very slight wave to it and is not as manageable as before, but I put some gel in it before styling which makes it behave. All in all that is one of the things I am thankful for, that I dont have wild crazy HT hair.

Unfortunately, I don't remember what the hell my original hair looks like. But, I can't really tell a difference in the individual hairs, I just know there's not nearly as many up there as used to be.

100? 'mini' grapfts by Latham's Hair Clinic - 1991 (Removed 50 plugs by Cooley 3/08.)

2750 FU 3/20/08 by Dr. Cooley

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

Rogaine 5% Foam - every now and then

AndroGel - once daily

Lipitor - 5 mg every other day

Weightlifting - 2x per week

Jogging - 3x per week