Is it merely lottery?

Hi all.

My question is whether one can estimate what to expect, in my case whether I will have MPB and to what extent will that be. Is it simply a case of whose genetics you inherit?

For example, I'm almost 26 with no signs of MPB yet. My dad is a NW4, however his brother still has a full set of hair. Their father passed away being a NW3 at 80+. My great-grandfathers on this site, one of them had MPB and the other didn't.

My maternal grandfather is between NW5-6 and I have 2 uncles on that site; one with no signs of MPB and the other is between NW3 and NW4. Both of mom's grandfathers passed away with a full head of hair.

So, seeing as there are people in my family with different levels of MPB and also quite a few of them that don't have it at all is there anyway to know what to expect? Or is it simply down to luck?

Thanks a lot icon_smile.gif

Hi all.

My question is whether one can estimate what to expect, in my case whether I will have MPB and to what extent will that be. Is it simply a case of whose genetics you inherit?

For example, I'm almost 26 with no signs of MPB yet. My dad is a NW4, however his brother still has a full set of hair. Their father passed away being a NW3 at 80+. My great-grandfathers on this site, one of them had MPB and the other didn't.

My maternal grandfather is between NW5-6 and I have 2 uncles on that site; one with no signs of MPB and the other is between NW3 and NW4. Both of mom's grandfathers passed away with a full head of hair.

So, seeing as there are people in my family with different levels of MPB and also quite a few of them that don't have it at all is there anyway to know what to expect? Or is it simply down to luck?

Thanks a lot icon_smile.gif

When you were conceived, there was a deck of cards---a hair deck, as it were. All your ancestors' cards were in there. Some were NW 7 cards; some were NW 1 cards; and others were somewhere between. When you were born, you drew one card from that deck. Thing is, the card stays face down for a very long time.

it seems that statistically, there is a slightly a higher chance of getting hair loss pattern from the mother side than the father

I am not a doctor. The opinions and comments are of my own.

HT with Dr. Cooley on Nov 20, 2008

2097 grafts, 3957 hairs

Proscar, 1.25 mg daily, skip the 5th day, started Nov 2007

My Hair Loss Blog - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Originally posted by balody:

my father has still most of his hair in his 60,s as did his dad.

my maternal grandfather was a norwood 6.

guess who me and my brother took after! :mad

That must really suck balody!