Hair Transplant for Only Moderate Hair Loss

On 8/27/2018 at 10:13 AM, HairLossMentor said:

Hey Tressless22.

I can relate... I had my HT at 27 - I'm 42 now and glad I did. Others didn't agree with me at the time.

You're 29 and depending on your family history and use of meds - a candidate by definition. But that doesn't mean you should take the leap.

Yes your hair loss is limited - and a lot of guys would kill for that hair and more will not achieve that results after a ht

Some good advice here... and for what it's worth... the best advice I can give...

Do everything you can to keep that awesome head of hair! That's your #1 goal right now.

Sure your hairline bothers you. I get it. But you can "live with it." It's not the end of the world. You know what I mean. 

Stop your hair loss with the big 3 (Propecia, Rogaine, Nizoral) and you will feel better . Why? You're taking control of your hair loss... you're taking action.

And that's worth something.  

I think I may be a better candidate in a few more years once my hair loss stabilizes. That way if I decide to go through with one I can avoid a procedure that implants into an area with existing hair. Also, I think I will start with Nizoral shampoo now to be more proactive. Thanks for the suggestion.

On 8/26/2018 at 8:51 PM, Tressless22 said:

Body dysmorphia is a mental illness. I don't think I've exhibited that. I recognize my hair loss is less than other users on this forum, and I have the capacity for rational thought when it comes to considering whether to proceed or not.

I am just now starting medical school at a later age than my peers, and I fear the additional stress of losing hair over the next 4 years and not being able do anything about it because the only time off I have for the next 4 years is next summer. Having an unnatural appearance following a hair transplant might be even more stressful than just losing hair. After having posted this, several users have brought to my attention the risk associated with transplanting into a region with existing hair. I initially thought this was a small risk but other posters have made me feel like the risk is significantly greater.

When you say I have no worries, do you mean I should not be worried about my current hair loss or I should not be as worried about the risks of a bad surgery with Dr. Erdogan?

Stress doesn't cause hairloss. Even med school stress. Genetics causes hairloss. If there weren't a bunch of bald men coming home from Germany, Vietnam, Korea, Afganistan, and Iraq after fighting wars, med school won't cause it. 

If I were you, i would get on finasteride and you will still be stable when you graduate. If you become a surgeon or anesthesiologist, you will wear a head cover anyway and can get an HT without worry!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

You have an age-appropriate hairline, not even identifiable as hair loss.

If you're noticing thinning you need to take preventative measures such as finasteride.

A transplant in your state would be a mistake and no ethical doctor would likely entertain you as a patient.

Hair loss patient and transplant veteran. Once a Norwood 3A.

Received 2,700 grafts with coalition doctor on 8/13/2010

Received 2,380 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 9/30/2011

Received 1,820 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 7/28/2016

• 2 weeks later...

OP, have you looked into Finasteride? Instead of dropping 10k on something that you don't need and can potentially scar you for life, you could talk to your doctor about taking Fin first, it could benefit you greatly since your hair loss is very mild. Generic versions are like $20 for 3 months.

You're 29 and barely a NW2 which is perfectly normal. As others have pointed out, even though you're technically losing your hair, the average person will not see NW2 as someone going bald, NW2 is like your classic mature hairline. Many people here would kill for a NW2. Plus your hair is thick so if you're that self-conscious about it, you can easily style your hair in ways to hide your temples. But most importantly, I promise you the average person will not see you as balding when they see your hairline. 

Edited by newpatient99

On 9/8/2018 at 3:01 AM, newpatient99 said:

OP, have you looked into Finasteride? Instead of dropping 10k on something that you don't need and can potentially scar you for life, you could talk to your doctor about taking Fin first, it could benefit you greatly since your hair loss is very mild. Generic versions are like $20 for 3 months.

You're 29 and barely a NW2 which is perfectly normal. As others have pointed out, even though you're technically losing your hair, the average person will not see NW2 as someone going bald, NW2 is like your classic mature hairline. Many people here would kill for a NW2. Plus your hair is thick so if you're that self-conscious about it, you can easily style your hair in ways to hide your temples. But most importantly, I promise you the average person will not see you as balding when they see your hairline. 

I've been on 1mg finasteride daily for about 14 months. I pay ~$60 for 30 tablets of 5mg of the generic. At about month 2, I noticed a few additional hairs at the center of my hairline, and although those hairs are still there, my temples have continued to recede despite being on fin which bothers the hell out of me that I can't at least halt the hair loss. I am just now adding Nizoral shampoo, but I do not plan to add rogaine/minoxidil.

By the way, where can I get the best deal on Nizoral shampoo in the US and how often should I use it?

For now, I am not considering a transplant. As long as I don't get one done this upcoming summer after M1, I won't even have the option to get one done until after I graduate in ~4 years. At that time, I'll probably have more hair loss and be a better transplant candidate. Hopefully you won't see me back on these forums until then.

4 hours ago, Tressless22 said:

I've been on 1mg finasteride daily for about 14 months. I pay ~$60 for 30 tablets of 5mg of the generic. At about month 2, I noticed a few additional hairs at the center of my hairline, and although those hairs are still there, my temples have continued to recede despite being on fin which bothers the hell out of me that I can't at least halt the hair loss. I am just now adding Nizoral shampoo, but I do not plan to add rogaine/minoxidil.

By the way, where can I get the best deal on Nizoral shampoo in the US and how often should I use it?

For now, I am not considering a transplant. As long as I don't get one done this upcoming summer after M1, I won't even have the option to get one done until after I graduate in ~4 years. At that time, I'll probably have more hair loss and be a better transplant candidate. Hopefully you won't see me back on these forums until then.

You can buy 1% nizoral over the counter for roughly 15 dollars at target or Walmart. You could get the 2% version but it’s only through prescription.

all the studies I’ve seen referenced have people use the shampoo 2-4 times a week and make sure it soaks into your scalp for a good 5 minutes.