Graft numbers vs Surgeon ability

hi all-

one thing I have noticed is how 2000 grafts in the hands of a brilliant surgeon can make a HUGE aesthetic difference, even in a higher Norwood. whereas other cases with even higher graft counts don't come anywhere near the same result.

I am specifically looking at a Konior FUE- 2000 grafts in a higher Norwood, dude looks like he had 5000 grafts put in.

What gives??

Isn't a graft a graft a graft?

• Administrators

Not every surgeon is created equal, skill, talent and experience all play a part in the final outcome of the results. However, there are other factors besides yield, headsize, hair density, and hair characteristics all play a part and don’t have anything to do with the doctor.

For example two men Norwood 6 get 2,000 grafts, one man has a small head and donor area that contains more triples and quadruple follicular units, his 2,000 grafts May end up being 5,000 hairs covering a smaller space per cm2. Additionally, this man may have an above average hair shaft diameter, which means it takes less hair to block light from reflecting off the scalp. This leads to a visually more appealing result.

On the flip side you may have a Norwood 6 with a large head, a donor area with more singles and doubles and few triples and almost no quadruple follicular units, which could mean he gets 3,600 hairs compared to the guys 5,000. Furthermore, he may have fine hair which requires more hair to create visual density. That’s why it’s never good to compare results because of so many factors that exist.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

I agree that the only way to compare two patients is if they have the same hair characteristics including color, thickness (fine vs course) ,straightness vs curly/wavy and obviously the same number of grafts are placed within the same size area. There can also be a difference in the result based on the angle and direction the grafts are placed which is controlled by the doctor making the incisions.