Don't buy a hair transplant because of computer imaging! Dr. Lindsey explains

We saw 2 guys just this week who had "been sold" hair restoration by a doctor with what sounds like only computer simulation of expected results...In this brief video Wendy and I discuss you computers can't account for skill, or lack thereof, of the doctor, techs, and the donor and recipient characteristics or even healing tendancies of the patient.

And I explain how even I...can get duped by simulations.

Make sure if you are buying cosmetic surgery, or anything else for that matter, without doing your research and seeing examples of what your doctor has done. Like the stock brokers say...past performance is not a guarantee of future results, BUT...you are better going to someone who has done lots of cases with lots of good results, than making a decision on a computer image.

The video is:

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Wait....are you telling me I should cancel my next transplant then?

I think it's gonna look fab!

IMG_0624.JPG.a535ae6ab2d55fa69d83a6ca30801767.JPG

I'm serious.  Just look at my face.

My Hair Regimen: Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

• Moderators

Computer simulations for something like a hair transplant is a very effective sales tool because it shows the person what (supposedly) the hair transplant will look like on HIM. The patient gets to see HIS face with hair rather than someone else's face. The picture is instantly recognizable to the patient because it's what he remembers he looked like maybe 5 or 10 years ago. That can get someone easily excited to get started. That is a much stronger picture in a persons mind than looking at pictures or videos of someone else that they don't know. The patient needs to be careful when presented with this. It needs to be backed up with actual results of other patients.

I'm not saying it is either good or bad because I do think there are merits to having an idea of what certain hairlines and temple work will look like on a particular persons face because every face has different features. A simulation can let you decide how low the hairline should be or how much recession in the corners there should be for YOUR face. That can be a very good tool if used correctly.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

Dr Lindsey, so true. Those simulations always seem to make things better than they reallly will be. Even when it comes to seeing showcase results, they are showcase for a reason and it seems few end up that way. It makes the patient think that will be me. It is deceptive but that is how some marketing techniques are. Thanks for putting out great info on these topics.