Umar 8 mos 3000 FUE

Abedogg

Originally posted by iron_man:

Hi Abe. I'm scheduled for a transplant using nape hair with Dr. Umar in a few months. As another poster had asked, I'm also wondering if there is any visible scarring at the back of the neck? From all of the pictures I've seen of Umar's patients, I don't see anything visible, but it would be nice to hear firsthand. Could you please let us know? Thanks.

I am 2 months post-op with Dr. Umar. He used scalp and nape hair. I had what I would self-diagnose as a immuno-reponse in the nape area that resembled an allergic reaction. All of a sudden 2 weeks post op, my nape broke out and itched liked crazy. Dr. Umar gave me topical steriods and after a week or so the iching stopped. My nape area is still red and some of the "allergic bumps" I got are still raised.

NOW, having said all this, I think my reaction is very atypical. I haven't heard of anything like this, and I think my immune system simply got confused and attacked the area.

My hair has already grown out to cover most of the area and knowing how my skin heals, I would be shocked if the redness persisted long term.

Different people just reaction to different parts of HT's in different ways. For instance, my recipient area started regrowing hairs from Umar's minox in 3 weeks and started growing transplanted hairs in 6 weeks. This was well above average.

So, I only mention this to let you know that many things are possible. But I think that nape hair is a great idea. It can soften the hairline and if it for some reason doesn't last a lifetime, it really doesnt matter as Umar only uses it in the first two graft lines of the hairline anyway.

Hey Guys,

So, I'm going to give it the full 12 months before making a conclusion on my right temple. Its definitely thin but the procedure did make a huge cosmetic difference.

I could use concealers (i used to), but frankly I had this done so I wouldn't have to use concealers.

2 items that may be relevant:

1.) My head stayed redder longer on the right side and had more scabbing. In fact, if you look closely, its still a little red.

2.) The left side is perfect, and the right side hair sticks up pretty straight. I'm guessing maybe there was a different person planting on each side.

Thansk for all the comments and I will continue to update until the 12 month mark!

Also - I was an early grower. Should the hair on the right start to lay down soon?

Abe

Had 3k With Umar on Feb 16, 2009

My Hair Loss Website

Originally posted by Abedogg:

Hey Guys,

So, I'm going to give it the full 12 months before making a conclusion on my right temple. Its definitely thin but the procedure did make a huge cosmetic difference.

I could use concealers (i used to), but frankly I had this done so I wouldn't have to use concealers.

2 items that may be relevant:

1.) My head stayed redder longer on the right side and had more scabbing. In fact, if you look closely, its still a little red.

2.) The left side is perfect, and the right side hair sticks up pretty straight. I'm guessing maybe there was a different person planting on each side.

Thansk for all the comments and I will continue to update until the 12 month mark!

Also - I was an early grower. Should the hair on the right start to lay down soon?

Abe

I can't tell from your pics that the right side isn't laying down. The right looks a little thinner than the left. That is the only difference I see.

Its curious that you mention quality control issues - that maybe the right was done by someone else than the left.

Dr. Umar currently only has one tech and himself. She has worked with him for over 6 years. He did have another tech, who I believe left in 2009. Were there two women helping Dr. Umar when you were having your surgery?

But, based on the fact that he doesn't have new techs, I wouldn't see why the right would be done different from the left.

It is curious that your right was redder longer. While there is no scientific evidence to support this, I would think that the faster our bodies heal, the faster transplants will grow or mature or the greater likelihood that they will survive.

If for some reason your right side was more traumatized, it could theoretically have an effect. I think this is one reason why HTs differ from person to person, even with the best surgeons. People heal differently. Some people are healthier, react better, and recover better than others. And there are probably dozens of variables that we really aren't aware of.

Iron man,

In response to your question. The back healed very nicely. The nape area did get some ingrown hairs around the 4 to 5 month mark. Umar gave me an antibiotic and it took care of them.

Wind -

I believe there was only one tech there during the case, so you are right. I do know that Umar did some of the planting as well.

Abe

Had 3k With Umar on Feb 16, 2009

My Hair Loss Website

• 2 years later...

Abedogg, first off, thank you so much for documenting your experience. Your fair-minded approach has been invaluable for a guy like me who wants as much information as possible before pulling the trigger. It has actually encouraged me to share my story if I ever do take the plunge. =)

Would you have any reservations about seeing Umar again? I'm considering flying out which would be a long trip for me (southeast US).

Our goals are somewhat different as I'm primarily interested in a scar repair so that I can cut my hair as short as possible; although, it would be an FUE procedure.

If anyone else would like to comment, please feel free.

Thank you in advance!

I think your hair is looking very good, you do have a few "light" areas on your right side but they may still fill in. It must be good to know that Dr. Umar has promised to fill those areas in if they ultimately do not start to grow acceptably.

I have heard of other Dr's such as Konior who do almost all of the planting and while it is admirable that they do this I have to wonder if it is a bit much for them. The thought of one person being hunched over a patient for 7-10 hours or however long it takes seems like it might be detrimental because of the fatigue factor. It must be tedious and painstaking work and it must be extremely tiring!!!

Anyone have any thoughts on the Dr's who do all the work themselves? Postive or negative?