Weird hair smell after HT?!

This is probably one of the weirder questions that's been asked on here, but I've noticed that my hair has had a very distinct, not so good smell the past few weeks. I take a shower everyday, sometimes twice a day and scrub my scalp pretty generously to clean it (I'm over 2 months post op). At first I thought it might be the shampoo I'm using but I've used about 3 others as well and it still has that same smell starting up a few hours after my shower. Has anyone every experienced this with an HT? Any suggestions?

- 1 HT ~ 3000 grafts

- Regimen:

Propecia 1X daily

This is probably one of the weirder questions that's been asked on here, but I've noticed that my hair has had a very distinct, not so good smell the past few weeks. I take a shower everyday, sometimes twice a day and scrub my scalp pretty generously to clean it (I'm over 2 months post op). At first I thought it might be the shampoo I'm using but I've used about 3 others as well and it still has that same smell starting up a few hours after my shower. Has anyone every experienced this with an HT? Any suggestions?

- 1 HT ~ 3000 grafts

- Regimen:

Propecia 1X daily

Mine's not either but I can notice it after I move my head one direction and then move it back...sorta that "trail" is left and I can smell it. Sorry I know that sounds really weird but I don't really know how else to explain it. My hat also smells like it when I take it off...and the hat is brand new so I know the smell is definitely not comin from that.

- 1 HT ~ 3000 grafts

- Regimen:

Propecia 1X daily

HairIsThere,

That's an unusual issue. Is the smell coming from your hair or your scalp? I know that certain bacterial or fungal infections of the scalp can cause a distinct odor. You may want to check your scalp for signs of discoloration or anything unusual symptoms like itching, bumpiness, or pain.

In the event you suspect an infection, be sure to speak with your hair restoration physician or a dermatologist asap.

Best wishes,

Bill

I guess I'm not too sure if it's my hair or scalp but I think it's my hair. My scalp seems to be a normal color cept maybe a little pink still and somewhat white after I shower. I can feel a few bumps here and there on it but it just seems like a pimple or where a pimple used to be, nothing major I don't think and it also doesn't really itch...I guess I should just ask my doc about it.

- 1 HT ~ 3000 grafts

- Regimen:

Propecia 1X daily

Malodorous scents in almost all cases indicate some sort of putrification process.

Please check with your physician and/or contact your hair transplant surgeon to get more details.

take care...

I agree 110% on calling your HT doc or any local derm.

But since we are also throwing out some ideas...if you suffer from allergies or sinus drainage those things can throw off your sense of smell and even cause strange odors (but not in your hair or scalp) that you may belief to be coming from those areas.

Just a note from a Texas girl, where our mold and allergen counts are thru the roof causing sniffles, allergies, and sinus infections left and right!!!

But, do yourself a favor and contact a physician.

Best of luck to you and take care!

Jessica

HT Coordinator

Limmer HTC

Dr. Brad Limmer is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Hey I haven't contacted my doc...I'm still not sure exactly what's goin on but there really is zero sign of infection on either my recipient or donor regions. There's no discoloration, pus, bleeding, etc... I mean I think everyones hair sorta starts smelling a little bit after a while just cuz it gets dirty/oily but for some reason mine just seems to smell like that a lot sooner than usual. It's really just that "dirty" hair smell but I dunno. I'll probably still give my doc a call on Monday or so.

- 1 HT ~ 3000 grafts

- Regimen:

Propecia 1X daily

• 11 years later...
7 minutes ago, Taylor9721 said:

Hey please help! I literally have the exact same issue post opp with strange smell noticed. Did you ever find out what was causing it. I hope you managed to sort it and you are in good health! Kris

Doubtful you will get a reply he hasn’t logged in for 11 years. Just be aware that a foul smell could be indicative of a infection. 
Have you mentioned it to the clinic/Dr ? 
@Dr. Suhail Khokhar might be able to assist here 🙏

Edited by JohnAC71
  • Like 1

Yes, you need to get this checked out with your doctor. It could be an infection, usually fungal. Do you have tenderness, erythema, pus, etc. around your scalp?

• Like 1

My advice does not constitute a patient-physician relationship nor as medical advice and all medical questions/concerns should be addressed to your medical provider. 

4 hours ago, Dr. Suhail Khokhar said:

Yes, you need to get this checked out with your doctor. It could be an infection, usually fungal. Do you have tenderness, erythema, pus, etc. around your scalp?

Hi Dr Khokhar, thanks so much for your reply and thank you also JohnAC71 ! 

I have no sign of any infection physically at all. Its very strange. I am on week five post surgery and just started noticing a rather strange smell. Transplant isnt really number other than still a little numb in places. I have washed scalp again last night and smell seems to have reduced. My worry was that it could be some form of Necrosis with numb areas and I know i shouldt google these things. The necrosis cases i saw online only seemed to show large scars/scabs due to early infection so iam just very confused as kept it so clean throughout the process. 

• 7 months later...
On 4/12/2021 at 7:12 AM, Taylor9721 said:

Thank you John ! really appreciate it 

On 4/12/2021 at 7:05 AM, Taylor9721 said:

Hi Dr Khokhar, thanks so much for your reply and thank you also JohnAC71 ! 

I have no sign of any infection physically at all. Its very strange. I am on week five post surgery and just started noticing a rather strange smell. Transplant isnt really number other than still a little numb in places. I have washed scalp again last night and smell seems to have reduced. My worry was that it could be some form of Necrosis with numb areas and I know i shouldt google these things. The necrosis cases i saw online only seemed to show large scars/scabs due to early infection so iam just very confused as kept it so clean throughout the process. 

Hi Taylor, so reassuring seeing this post. I feel as though I’m dealing with the same issue, I am currently 10 weeks post op and last 3 weeks or so noticed the exact same issue that’s been mentioned, just wondering if you ever found out what the problem was? Thanks