Do you ever recommend someone get a HT? How to bring it up?

SogeKing100

Hello,

I had my HT done about 9 months ago and am very happy with my results so far. I have a co-worker whose hair loss has progressed quite a bit and I want to bring up the idea of getting a HT to him. It is hard to say if he has thought about it himself or not, because I feel like most people don't even know that hair transplants are a real thing.

However, I can see a few problems with this. This co-worker is not really my "friend," so it may be a little awkward bringing it up. "Hey, I noticed you are bald. Did you ever think about..."

Also, I feel like I would have to tell him that I got a HT myself. Nobody but my family knows I had a procedure, and I really don't want anyone to find out. I feel like if I told this co-worker of mine, he would bring it up to his wife (who also works at the same place I do) and she would definitely mention it to other people, and we all know how gossip can spread.

So, i was wondering if you ever recommend getting a procedure to other people. Friends or even strangers.

Anyone have any interesting stories or strategies?

I don't think it's a good idea to draw any attention to a person's hairloss, even in a discreet, one-to-one situation. They might be incredibly embarrassed or insulted. But you can't even assume that it bothers them too much.

It would be much easier to approach the subject if you were open about your own HT ;)

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

• Administrators

The best way is to be open about it yourself. I’ve had so many people ask me about hair transplants since being open about it. I never bring it up to anyone. Because you don’t know how someone is dealing with it emotionally. Merely mentioning it can be devastating to some.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

I can understand the secrecy and not wanting the whole office/workplace to find out that you have been for hair transplant surgery.

You might think you'll get picked upon, you might think people will think that you are shallow, insecure etc etc etc

However, from my own experience and from that of others who have readily been open about their experience is that people are intrigued more than anything else. Many will ask questions which will trigger the start of their own journeys. A hair transplant will no longer be taboo once one 'normal guy' has it done. Your colleague may well fall into this category. He may well be thinking the same way.

If you really feel you need to bring it up then it's probably best if you make an effort to actually get to know him first. Once you feel you have his trust you can just drop a casual hint. He's unlikely to open up to you if he doesn't know you.

And yes, he may be perfectly happy with his baldness as many guys are, just because you felt the urge to fix yours, it doesn't mean all guys feel the same, no matter how bad you personally feel they look.

He may also be at the stage where he is protective about his baldness and the mere mention might get you a bloody nose, tread carefully if you must.

Hey, everyone.

Yes, I suppose most of you are right. I think it would be better not to say anything. It is possible that he is perfectly okay with his hair loss. If I see him making some kind of big deal out of his hair, or we somehow get onto the topic of hair I can easily segue into hair transplants.