Shaving the face post op

Hey,

Kind of an odd question. With the restrictions on clippering the donor post op for up to a month (but scissor cut is ok), I'm wondering, is there something intrinsically bad about the act of using electric razors on your donor or face, that would have an effect on the recipient?

I'm wondering if there is some motivation to avoid using electric clippers on the donor due to the vibrations that they cause, and that this could damage the recipient, and thus, electric razors for the face would pose the same problem. What do you think?

I think clippers actually 'pull' at your hair.

if you don't oil them properly you can feel them tugging as you move the clipper across your head. So, i'm guessing, given that your hair (post HT) is all a bit delicate, its advised not to use them.

• Administrators

Cutting the back and sides should have no effect on the recipient area. However, its not recommended to cut the top until the grafts have shed.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

I know it seems crazy, but I'm talking about specifically shaving your face with an electric razor.

Like, if clippering away from the recipient (on the donor area), is to be avoided post op, why?

• Administrators

I shaved my face with an electric razor in all three of my transplants, this will have no impact on your hair transplant.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

What percentage of men use an electric shaver daily? I don't know the answer to that, but whatever the figure is, it's going to be about the same for HT patients. Some men shave their faces, some don't. It has no influence on the procedure.

Electric clippers/shavers can pull at hairs and snag them, especially if the blades are blunt or the battery is dying. That's why it isn't advised to use them on the transplanted areas.

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

Thanks for your clarification guys. I know it was an irrational question. I was trying to understand the logic behind advising against clipping the donor with an electric razor. I couldn't understand what impact this would have on the effect of the transplant. I applied this preventative measure to the face as well as the donor. That was my thinking! :D

If you are shaving another area of the head or face and not the area that was transplanted, you shouldn’t have anything to worry about. You won’t be affecting your transplanted hair in anyway. I don’t know if you’re concerned about the vibration or something, but there shouldn’t be any issue. To be honest, after my third hair transplant, I shaved the entire donor area while the staples were still in. Obviously I was very careful around the staple area and couldn’t get everything where the staples were, but I didn’t cause harm to my scalp at all. I didn’t shave the recipient area because it was already shaved and my scalp was full of transplanted hair. Personally, I didn’t start shaving the recipient area to match the donor area until one month after my hair transplant.

But it sounds like you are safe to shave your face and other areas not involving transplanted hair.

Best wishes,

Bill