Alopecia areata 3 months after FUE

Manuel

I underwent a second hair transplant back in November 2017. 4400 Grafts (FUE) were taken and the surgery went over two days. Everything was going well until this week as I suddenly developed a big bald patch within the donor area. There are also a couple of bald patches within the beard area (near to the donor area).

I just checked some pictures which were taken back in January and February. It appears that there was already a tiny bald spot, however I never noticed it.

The bald spot in question has pretty much tippled in size within 48 hours.

I consulted a dermatologist this morning who diagnosed alopecia areata. Steroid injections will be given on Monday.

Alopecia areata vs shock loss. Question can hair transplant surgery induce alopecia areata?

Anyone who has experienced the same kind of problem?

The surgery itself went well and the hair growth within crown, temples and hairline has kicked in nicely. It is just the bald patches which are a bit of an emotional set back.

20180117_084206_LI.thumb.jpg.d4de0d1d5d8c06750d65abd79571037a.jpg

20180225_094304_LI.thumb.jpg.2164f1ed1d878957ee70885eb2c3e45c.jpg

20180302_081537.thumb.jpg.50be4d5339546f4b7a5f78c72e03a799.jpg

20180309_080954.thumb.jpg.29938dc45ee0d7a976df774f06843f76.jpg

20180309_091352_LI.thumb.jpg.a77caa92d21ee5b9eecc0fa85b4b1994.jpg

I had something similarish. Month after fue had a square bald spot about 3cm by 3cm. It eventuallu grew back after few more months and looks normal now same as pre surgery. Hope that helps.

I had something similarish. Month after fue had a square bald spot about 3cm by 3cm. It eventuallu grew back after few more months and looks normal now same as pre surgery. Hope that helps.

thanks for your reply which is encouraging news. I must admit that I am quiet upset with this bald patch as it seems to continue to get bigger. Never thought that this could happen 3 months post surgery. At least the hair grow on the recipient area is going well

• 2 weeks later...

Little update:) I was taking monolaurin (Glyceryl monolaurate) supplements to boost my immune system which is compromised due to Chron's disease. After speaking to my dermatologist and gastroenterologist, it appears that Hypersensitivity (Chron's disease is a Type 4 Hypersensitivity) to Glycerol Monolaurate is a contraindication. It is highly likely that the Alopecia was induced by the supplement.

The frustrating part of the story is, that I was advised by my dietitian ( who was fully aware of my medical history ) to take monolaurin. Lesson learned.... no more dietitians.

I have stopped taking the tablets a week ago.

The good news is that the problem is not related to the hair transplant surgery

• 1 month later...

Alopecia areata would not be a result of the procedure as it is an autoimmune issue. But yes, it would probably be a good idea to double check with your physician if you are considering any medical advice from a non-physician because of your having Chron's disease. I wish you luck dealing with this issue.