Repairing another low yield FUE

Here's a short video where we review a fellow who had an FUE done elsewhere, with low yield, that we repaired with a small strip. A couple of things, first, I think the other doctor did a bit too low of a hairline...that may be an issue as this guy ages, BUT, that's the hairline we had to work with. Second, Wendy and I discuss possible etiologies of low yield in FUE...some of the same issues apply to strip cases as well, except for root avulsive injury which is unique to FUE. I have 15 or so videos going into this in varying details and even one or 2 where I show how this happens with small house plants, on our youtube and vimeo pages. Thirdly, even at 8 months out from repair..when this fellow sent in his picture, he looks great. Hopefully we'll see him at a year or so and get an interview. He already mentioned he's worrying about his crown...and mid scalp.

The video is:

Dr. Lindsey

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Amazing work Dr Lindsey. Can you imagine, after what I have been through with two other known doctors, my hairline and procedure looks worse then the state of this patient in your video. Seeing a video like this makes a patient feel hopeful. The situation i am in has made me suffer quite a bit. I shouldn’t have had to suffer this much but if things were done with greater care, then maybe I would not be in the situation i am in.

You did a fantastic job and SUCCESSFULLY repair this patient.

I really need to be repaired properly and I am very upset at my situation. Only then, I can probably live in peace.

Keep up the great work! You delivered and made sure this patient can move forward with peace.

Dr. Lindsey,

There's no doubt that there are bad results with FUE but it's also true with FUT/strip. As you know, a lot of it depends on the doctor rather than the donor excision procedure. Thus, I'm curious, approximately how much of your work is dedicated to FUE at this point and what is your view?

Thanks,

Bill

• 2 weeks later...

Sean, I feel for you fellow.

Matt...people either like Wendy and my yacking or they don't...but it lets the potential patient know how we see things. Most places keep that some secret like the coke formula.

Bill...only when I have to. So...for example in my son who is a bad scar former, with thick hair who needed 350 grafts to fix a scar. DEFINITELY FUE. Or a military guy..typically army, who seems to have the most strict hair length requirements in the donor region..strip is almost always out...but I'm pretty blunt about it not being as full of a result as strip usually. And everyone who disagrees with me just hasn't seen enough unhappy FUE patients. Without naming names, I'd guess we've seen unhappy low yield fue patients from greater than half of the so called top fue guys in the US or Europe. Like it or not, same as with plants...avulsion trauma stresses roots..sometimes a little sometimes a lot.

But as numbers go...I'd guess we do 36-45 FUE cases a year. And they often seem occur in groups. After 3 or 4 days of only FUE, I'm tired.

Dr. Lindsey

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians