Items to take away with you for HT surgery

I'm taking the plunge in about a months time. So getting everything organised logistically, however I'm looking for suggestions on what to take away with me.

So far apart from my usual luggage I'm planning on buying a fairly loose fitting cap to wear on the plane for the journey home, and also a neck pillow as well.

Its FUE with only 2,000 grafts so relatively minor in the scheme of things. But any other items I should take with me?

I would get a light cotton bandana rather than a hat if the clinic doesn't provide one. You can be far more gentle when putting it on and they are more breathable. Also, I would pay the extra and get a decent neck pillow. I bought a crappy inflatable one and regretted it. A couple of button up shirts and/or a cardigan will also help. Good luck with everything.

Be mindful of TSA during travel, it would be acceptable to cover your head with a bandana, or to be wrapped by the doctor's office before you depart for the airport.

I did so in one occasion in order to avoid having to get a private room and explain myself, I had a doctor note and a wrapping around my donor area to dissuade TSA from asking me to take off my bandana or hat, which they are prone to do.

Hair loss patient and transplant veteran. Once a Norwood 3A.

Received 2,700 grafts with coalition doctor on 8/13/2010

Received 2,380 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 9/30/2011

Received 1,820 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 7/28/2016

Be mindful of TSA during travel, it would be acceptable to cover your head with a bandana, or to be wrapped by the doctor's office before you depart for the airport.

I did so in one occasion in order to avoid having to get a private room and explain myself, I had a doctor note and a wrapping around my donor area to dissuade TSA from asking me to take off my bandana or hat, which they are prone to do.

What does TSA stand for? I'm assuming airport security.

Given it's only temple and minor frontal hairline work, I was planning on just leaving my hair long-ish on top and just letting it sit without wearing a hat when I go through all the airport screening. Not sure how realistic that is.

I'll be going through Brussels airport as well so not sure how strict they are. I would imagine a bit more lax than the USA

I went through Brussels airport security with the bandana on and nobody asked me to take it off. They didn't even take a second glance.

Thanks Baldrick. Slightly off topic but did you leave Brussels the day after surgery like a lot of people recommend? Or is it worth staying an extra couple of days just in case?

• 4 weeks later...
I would get a light cotton bandana rather than a hat if the clinic doesn't provide one. You can be far more gentle when putting it on and they are more breathable. Also, I would pay the extra and get a decent neck pillow. I bought a crappy inflatable one and regretted it. A couple of button up shirts and/or a cardigan will also help. Good luck with everything.

what do you mean with a decent neck pillow?