Why so SMP aftercare procedures differ so much between clinics?

I've just had SMP into the scar and the advice I received was to place antiseptic ointment on the SMP area twice daily for 4 days, but looking online there's clinics that have strict no touching the SMP area whatsoever aftercare and claim that it'll remove the ink.

Is it just different ink types?

I NEVER tell my clients to apply antibiotic ointment. Ointments of this type are designed for infection and foreign matter. That's why one would apply these ointments to perhaps a splinter, to help bring the splinter to the surface for ejection. These ointments will pull the pigment out as they see the ink/pigment as a foreign matter. Inexperienced techs often tell their customers this.

As for washing, I advise my clients to wash their scalps the very first day; twice per day with baby shampoo for seven days. Then the client is able to return to their normal showering/shampooing routine. But my pigments are permanent with no danger of washing away like the temporary multi-session methods. My specific aftercare is exclusive to my patented method only.

The multi-session methods don't permit you to wash your scalp for up to a week (because one can wash away the pigments), sometimes you are not even able to get your scalp wet. Then you have to return for a second and third session (sometimes more) and forego the shampooing again. So in some cases, you may not be able to shampoo your scalp for up to 8 weeks.

Edited by MarkWestonHair

I am the owner of the M. Weston Non-Surgical Hair Restoration Centers and developer of the world’s only patented scalp micropigmentation, The Weston System. My system is a one-session only lifetime application.

I had temporary SMP so my post op regime would be closer to what your last paragraphs mention, but I think you're being a big hyperolic or even deliberately attacking temporary SMP with the way you've phrased it. Even AheadInk uses a 'sealing cream' or something along those lines in the aftercare I've never seen a clinic that mentions not shampooing fr 8 weeks.

Hi Transhair,

I give every client a Beauty Medical branded aftercare kit. It includes a serum (not an antibiotic ointment) and a shampoo. I also follow the same protocol as Beauty Medical which advises the client uses the serum 2-3 times daily and not to SHAMPOO for 48 hours after the procedure (the client may shower/wet his head that night). The client may then use the provided shampoo which will help normalize the PH balance of the skin. The serum will help moisturize and "lock in" the pigments. The client will use the aftercare kit for 5 days and is advised to avoid direct sunlight, swimming in a chlorinated pool, and heavy sweating (for a week).

Other SMP clinics will have differing postcare directions as they are using different techniques, needles, pigments, etc. Tricopigmentation only injects at .5mm which is a superficial injection (upper dermis) and requires different care to ensure the pigments retain and last. Every Ahead Ink client gets this kit as well as printed out instructions when they are done and all of these aftercare instructions are also on our web site.

Did you have your procedure done with a Beauty Medical trained technician?

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

I had temporary SMP so my post op regime would be closer to what your last paragraphs mention, but I think you're being a big hyperolic or even deliberately attacking temporary SMP with the way you've phrased it. Even AheadInk uses a 'sealing cream' or something along those lines in the aftercare I've never seen a clinic that mentions not shampooing fr 8 weeks.

Some multi-session methods apply a second, third and fourth treatment a week or two apart. In between, some clinics don't permit you to wash your scalp for a week. By then one is ready for the next session. What I am saying is that it can turn into 8 weeks if they have session after session a week apart. Different methods/clinics/companies have their own specific aftercare, as I have.

I am the owner of the M. Weston Non-Surgical Hair Restoration Centers and developer of the world’s only patented scalp micropigmentation, The Weston System. My system is a one-session only lifetime application.