Research: Adding 0.5 mg Dutasteride weekly?

Vlaj

Hey guys,

I told my Dermatologist about adding 0.5 mg Dutasteride weekly additionally to 1 mg Finasteride daily.

She asked me to send her the article and any research so she can make decision.

Can anyone tell me which data I should send her?

Thanks

Vlaj,

Are you saying that you want to add Dutasteride to your regimin of finasteride? Why would you want to do that? If finasteride isn't strong enough for you, why not switch to Dutasteride daily in total? Dutasteride does block both type I and type II alpha reductase enzymes as opposed to finasteride which I believe only blocks type II. So if you aren't experiencing side effects and you want a stronger medication, you could consider switching altogether. I don't believe adding Dutasteride to your finasteride regimen makes sense personally.

Best wishes,

Bill

Just google "adding duasteride to finasteride" and there is a case study linked on the first page.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Thanks, Spanker.

1. Is that the only research study done on this?

2. What else could I offer my doctor since this was just a open case study and double-blind?

3. Have many other guys seen recent results using this regimen?

• 3 weeks later...
I didn’t see any benefits all all and I’ve tried it for 8 months, but everyone’s different

Thanks.

Any specific blood tests would be prudent to monitor?

What is your current regimen?

I'm also trying to set up best shampoo and maybe conditioner.

Currently I only use Regenpure DR.

And products for volume and hair spray with strong hold but wont hurt scalp...cream or gel product?

Any nutrients you can suggest?

Edited by Vlaj

• 4 weeks later...
Vlaj,

Are you saying that you want to add Dutasteride to your regimin of finasteride? Why would you want to do that? If finasteride isn't strong enough for you, why not switch to Dutasteride daily in total?

Bill

I actually think adding a low dose of Dutasteride to Finasteride is a good idea, and it's exactly what I do (so I guess I would say that :D).

I think there is enough evidence that Finasteride works (depending on what your definition of "works" is), and there are natural biological models that suggests its very safe for long term usage, it's just not especially strong and anecdotal reports suggest the benefit diminishes after several years. Dutasteride is far stronger, but there are concerns about it's long term usage, as there is no equivalent biological models for high level inhibition of both forms or 5 AR.

Increasing the dose of FInasteride doesn't appear to result in much better results, and high long term doses of Dutasteride would seem to equate to the highest risk profile. So FInasteride + low dose Duasteride seems like a good compromise to me.

DUT is a stronger medicine and comes with stronger side effects, even at 1x week I would be very careful.

I have also heard there is higher chance of DUT sides being permanent.

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

I agree that anybody taking meds needs to be very careful, there are even guys out there that insist Finasteride resulted in permanent side effects (post finasteride syndrome). We are all different, nobody can state what will happen in any individual case.