Finasteride following HT

greyG

Hi, Question for ppl who have undergone HTs.. I've been advised that taking fin for 6 months after, ensures graft regrowth by 95%, while going without only has a regrowth rate of 65%.. Can anyone advise on this?

I'm reluctant to try Fin, due to the documented side effects.. Has anyone had a successful HT without it?

Thanks in advance.

I have had HT including body HT with good results and not taking Finasteride. This drug is proven to stop hair loss and in some cases helped men regrow the lost hair. Fenasteride immediately Post HT to increase the success rate is unheard of, what are really important in terms of graft survival and success rate:

surgeon skills in addition to his/her technician abilities

time grafts left out of the body.

looking after those implanted grafts to ensure they are not dislodged for the first 7-10 days.

Surely others may have some more to add to this list

sultsay

I didn't take fin after my HT#1 or HT #2 but did take it after HT #3 and beyond. It does help with better growth from my experience.

I was a lot younger when I got my HT#1 so that could also be a factor - maybe as you age you need all the crutches you can get your hands on.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FUT #1, ~ 1600 grafts hairline (Ron Shapiro 2004)

FUT #2 ~ 2000 grafts frontal third (Ziering 2011)

FUT #3 ~ 1900 grafts midscalp (Ron Shapiro early 2015)

FUE ~ 1500 grafts frontal third, side scalp, FUT scar repair --300 beard, 1200 scalp (Ron Shapiro, late 2016)

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/185663-recent-fue-dr-ron-shapiro-prior-fut-patient.html

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think a lot of it depends on what NW you are when you've had your procedure. Dr. Sanusi Umar recommended me not to take propecia after my mega session with him last January. However, the variable that came into play is that I had 4 botched procedures before my surgery with him, but he told me that there's no reason for me to continue taking it due to my procedure with him encompassing all of my balding areas.

About my hair loss journey:

Happy Patient's Blog

• 4 weeks later...

I'd advise you consider finasteride permanently if you have male pattern hair loss, it's progressive.

Hair loss patient and transplant veteran. Once a Norwood 3A.

Received 2,700 grafts with coalition doctor on 8/13/2010

Received 2,380 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 9/30/2011

Received 1,820 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 7/28/2016

Thanks Jnilsen, I was explicitly told by the surgeon in question that without it the re-growth rate is 65%, with it 95%... and if I didn't take fin the HT, would be akin to a game of "pot luck"...

IF true that is discouraging to say the least....there are many that have successful HTs without using Fin. Not sure if that is sound advise, or a factual statement on his behalf.

12/11/17 2500 FUE Grafts with Dr. Steven Gable