FUE/FUT with SMP as a strategy?

Hello,

I noticed on a few recent posts in the SMP forum where patients have used SMP to achieve a 'thickening' effect. I was wondering if anyone here has used FUE/FUT in conjunction with SMP as a strategy in creating an illusion of thick hair. Also, if one were to use this as a strategy, would the order in which the procedures are performed make any difference during the procedures and on the end result?

Thanks

IMHO, you want to do SMP as the last stage in creating the illusion of added density.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

From what I've seen, SMP is giving some amazing results and it's a subject I'm really getting interested in. I think we'll be seeing more and more people using it in combination with HTs for scar coverage.

As long as SMP comes last, I don't see it mattering which order you have FUT and FUE.

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

Thanks Gillenator and Mattj for your responses

@Mattj - Any specific reasons you suggest that SMP should be done last? I see Gillenator has suggested that SMP should be the last step too

Also, I had another question, if one were to have an SMP done before an FUE or FUT, is it possible that surgeons get deceived by a 'thick' head of hair while they arrive at graft estimates and actually place the grafts too? :confused: I know this sounds a really stupid question, but, I had to ask!

Thanks

hairsprint,

SMP should be done last because you may decide at some point you want to put hair in an area that you've already put SMP. That would end up being a waste of money for you. Once you are done strategizing where you want all your hair to go and it grows, you can add SMP as the final step. Besides, you may have scarring after your hair transplantation that you want to touch up with SMP...might as well do that at the same time as the other SMP instead of returning for touch up work.

That of course, is just my opinion.

Best wishes,

Bill

I agree SMP should be last. Placing hair should be the first priority. Get the hair transplant, let it grow in and then see where you need a little thickening via SMP. You won't really fully know where you will most need the SMP thickening until after the hair transplant grows in. I am considering some minor SMP because now a year and 4 months post-op I know exactly where the SMP would help the most.

Dr. Dow Stough - 1000 Grafts - 1996

Dr. Jerry Wong - 4352 Grafts - August 2012

Dr. Jerry Wong - 2708 Grafts - May 2016

Remember a hair transplant turns back the clock,

but it doesn't stop the clock.

SMP will make the HT process more difficult, but not possible, which is testament to how convincing SMP results really are! Photos are normally enough to make an assessment, as long as they're clear photos, but SMP will make that process harder. It will also make it more difficult for FUE extractions. Not impossible, but harder than it would normally be. So that's another reason for choosing SMP after getting the surgical options out of the way.

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

I know this has been discussed before and some of the SMP clinics have helped me better understand their inks have been tested and are different....but I'd be lying if this still does not at least concern me:

September 13, 2017 - Article

https://www.thesun.co.uk/fabulous/4456582/how-getting-a-tattoo-could-cause-cancer-as-ink-travels-through-the-blood-and-stops-your-body-fighting-infections/

Dr. Dow Stough - 1000 Grafts - 1996

Dr. Jerry Wong - 4352 Grafts - August 2012

Dr. Jerry Wong - 2708 Grafts - May 2016

Remember a hair transplant turns back the clock,

but it doesn't stop the clock.